Help for a few Munster fans heading your way!!!!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

outwide

Help for a few Munster fans heading your way!!!!!!!

Post by outwide »

Morning all you Tigers supporters.Glad to see so many of you made the trip to Cork las Friday night.Just joined your Forum this morning and hopefully some of ye can give us Munster heads a bit of help.8 of us are staying in St.Nicolas circle(Holiday inn) for the HC clash in October.We would appreciate any info on what pubs etc to go to and how far we are from Welford rd.Thanks
Neil Back you are now forgiven...................
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Pubs, none of the ones in the ground, you may not be albe to afford the journey home!! :wink:
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
outwide

Post by outwide »

We fly back after the game so no beer that day due to the 5 hour drive home.We will be in the city for Friday and Saturday night so would like to go to some 'rugby pubs' if possible.Thanks for the replies guys
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

From where you are staying you are very central and thus close enough to most bars. I reccomend the Orange Tree on High Street or heading into Braunstone Gate which is a small walk across Castle Park where there are a number of decent bars (Loaf, Looking Glass, O Bar to name a few).
If you're looking for something Irish, Molly O'Grady's on Hotel Street is within walking distance for you as well.
Catherine111

Post by Catherine111 »

Hey Guys! A few of us are heading over to the HC match in October but i need some help sorting the accommodation please!! I have been looking at a few places but they are couple of miles from city centre - where is the best area to stay in? What is left in the City Centre is a bit above our budget to be honest (we plan to spend most of our money in the pub :D :D ) There's a guest house on Hinckley Rd (Abinger i think) but is that a bit far? Any help would be greatly appreciated We are trying to stay as close to the action as possible! :wink:
outwide

Post by outwide »

Hi Catherine,
On the Munster supporters club website there is an offer from some hotel in Leicester.
There is 8 of us heading over as well and cant wait to be honest.It should be good craic and the banter from the Leicester supporters is always good.Thanks for the info on the pubs guys and tell them stock up on everything bar minerals...................
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Avoid Leicester City centre. Lots of Munster fans heading for Blaby. Decent pubs (apart from the George) Having lived in Leicestershire for 5 years I must say I havent come across many 'Rugby Pubs'. The Bakers Arms in Blaby is run by a Tigers fan. Has a Munster/Tigers scarf on the wall. On the Saturday before the game Leicester City are at home & the City centre will be full of soccer fans. The City Centre has to be one of the worst City Centres in the whole of England. And most of the Tigers/Rugby fans who actually live in Leicestershire live in the suberbs or the Shires anyway.
outwide

Post by outwide »

Hi Steve
Where is Blady?
We are staying in St.Nicolas circle.
Glad to hear the advice on the soccer crowd as we had a bad experience with some of same in London a few years ago. :evil:
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Steve does Leicester a disservice there. Sure its not the prettiest city centre but it really isn't that bad. Blaby is a bit of a trek away for a night out and would involve some unnecessary taxi costs.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Iain wrote:Steve does Leicester a disservice there. Sure its not the prettiest city centre but it really isn't that bad. Blaby is a bit of a trek away for a night out and would involve some unnecessary taxi costs.
Not if they stay near Blaby. Which by the way a lot of Munster fans will be doing.
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

are they really? anyone i know going over is staying in the city centre. i hear if you know the right places it can be a great place to go out in. and anyway, its always better to be in the city centre so you can mix with the other fans. would be great craic.

Blaby... strange name.
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Blaby used to be Lay By on the road to Lutterworth!
the don

Post by the don »

I stayed in Leicester the last time Munster played.We had a great time in both the outback and o'neills.Had a nice sunday lunch and great craic in the bricklayers arms.I felt very safe in the city centre,it is no different to any big city on a saturday night.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

By the Outback are you refering to the 'Walkabout'. That has closed down. O'Neills & Molly O'Gradys for that matter are overpriced 'Oirish' theme bars with no character. As I have said before most Leicester Tigers fans who live in the Leicester area, live outside the City Centre, so wont be around much on Saturday night as It will be full of soccer fans. And on Sunday night they will be looking to head back nearer to home. The question was also asked about a Rugby pub. The only one I know is the Bakers Arms in Blaby. But it is a hike if you are staying in the City Centre. Best bet to watch the game if you dont get a ticket is the Fbar. Very close to the ground with a guy from Dungarvan as owner. Doing breakfasts from 10 on Sunday as well. There will be plenty of Munster fans around after the game in the City Centre, but not so many Tigers fans. Also most City Centre pubs shut early on Sundays.
outwide

Post by outwide »

Thanks for the responses guys.Did not mean to start a debate about the merits or otherwise of the City centre.As I said we are going over from Dublin on Friday evening so will have 2 nights there before the game.All we want is a few pubs where we can have a bit of craic and maybe a sing song or 2.Its our first time there and was just looking for a bit of direction. :)