Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Jason Robinson to Return ?

Post by dailywaffle »

http://tinyurl.com/nsjne

Not so sure its a good idea .... he WAS great, but his form dipped badly in the run up to his 'retirement'. Thoughts ?
alex_111
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by alex_111 »

IMO its always a mistake for a player to come out of international retirement
stupidrokchick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stupidrokchick »

Lawrence Dayglo springs to mind! lol They should stay retired let the youth come through and get some experience
Dizzie Lizzie xXx
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Totall agree daily, had his day re international stage IMO - don't need him.
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Is Andy (also Robinson) getting that desparate!!!

Come on Randrew - stamp your authority.

And btw fire dayglo!!!
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

well, he was only porjecting to the possibilty of receiveing an England call. we are not short of talents in the bk 3 (y exactly did OBNC dropped Lewsy, the most consistent player during the 6N is a mystery to me)
and players like Sinbad and Mark V certainly deserve a chance
Stuart Kirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart Kirk »

Why so negative? Personally I think it would be a shrewed move. Experience to compliment freshness of Tait etc, flair to combat the 1-dimensional back play of late. Was still doing in the premiership last year, why not!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

His retirement I feel should have saved him the indignity of being dropped. He had been found out at test level big time, and was really a passenger at international level for a good 18 months as defences worked out how to stop him. For him to be brought back in would be a huge backwards step.
Keeno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Keeno »

I tink it would be a backward step to reintroduce jason into the squad as has been said let the younger players come thorugh and prove themsleves there shouldnt b any need or motivation to bring back older retired players like jason and dallaglio
Shoved out! I'll work my way back up Karen n Sim!!
dozza

Post by dozza »

This is my first ever post so be gentle. When I first heard about JR I thought here we go again. It will be just like Daly (without the bout of verbal diarrhea :lol: ) and the team will go backwards again. However on reflection are we not getting away from the whole point here? The team should be picked on form and that is it. Not what the players have done in the past, not how big a ‘star’ they are and not their retirement status. If over the next season JR is the best wing / full back in England then he should play, if he is not he shouldn’t. Maybe if AR stuck to this principle the England team would have had a far better championship last season?
Lions Tour to SA '97. Why did it have to be Guscott with the drop goal?!!! It almost makes you wish that we had lost!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Welcome aboard dozza !

I take your point, but Iain is right in implying that JR should have been dropped long before he retired. He did show a slight recovery once he was no longer playing Internationals, and I think he is still an asset to Sale, but he should learn from that (IMO).

That said, I think OBNC may consider him, IF we are struggling at wing. Lewsey is surely #1 choice at FB, and Cueto at 14, so maybe Robbo will decide between Cohen and JR ? With Sinbad injured, Voyce tossed aside and Tom V 'demoted' then maybe its possible ?
dozza

Post by dozza »

Hi dailywaffle

I think that you / Iain are quite right that JR should have / would have been dropped as he was not performing well.
I still think that his form this year should be the major factor that AR should consider. I know it is a bit cliché but form is temporary. It just seems to me that English sport in general has a real issue about picking form players and is much more comfortable sticking with the tried and tested. Of course if you are AR you also do the reverse of this and drop Lewsey who is the form player and the tried and tested player all at the same time. :roll:
Lions Tour to SA '97. Why did it have to be Guscott with the drop goal?!!! It almost makes you wish that we had lost!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

OK, lets follow that through. Assuming that:

1. Wasps pick Lewsey at 15 (not a given, although he is much better than Van Giz IMO), and
2. Lewsey and Robinson show themselves to be the two best FBs on form
3. Cueto and either Cohen, Varndell or Voyce are playing well

what should OBNC do ? Pick JR at FB and Lewsey in an (arguably) less effective position ? Or vice versa ?

Or maybe have JR as cover for the back 3 on the bench ?

I suppose I just think that Lewsey is a much better 15 than Robinson, and it would take some turnaround in form to convince me otherwise !
dozza

Post by dozza »

And that is my point (although I think that in my last posting I prob did not make it clear.)

I also think that Lewsey is the best English 15 in the country based on last season’s form.

All I am saying that if Lewsey's (or any other players) form drops and is superseded by another player (whether retired or not) AR should go on form.

If JR is a better option (on form) than other players for the bench are then he should go onto the bench. Surely we have to wait and see and not try to justify whether or not a player will be an asset if they come out of retirement purely based on last seasons form.

I really have used the word form too much in this haven’t I?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Players of JR's stature and maturity tend to want to be either guaranteed first choice or not bother.

He wouldn't want to be shuffled in and out of the side and not getting 80 minutes every game.

I think it's a non-starter.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!