Anglo-Welsh Friendlies

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Anglo-Welsh Friendlies

Post by dailywaffle »

I have no idea what all the pre-season results are, but with the news that semi-pro Neath beat Bristol, plus defeats for Glaws and Saints, are we seeing a shift in the balance of power ?

Or do the Welsh take such 'friendlies' more seriously ?

I see that Ospreys are hosting 'Quins on Friday, and I expect a comfortable win for the home side.

So, will this be the year when we see a reasonable Welsh performance in the HC ?
Glaws 55

Post by Glaws 55 »

Llanelli virtually had their full team out playing us where as we put out a slightly weaker team to test out some new combinations. The welsh were taking it very serious thoughand were treating it as if it was a league match where i think we were treating it more as a pre season where we could give some guys their first run out in a few months and try to create some new playing combinations.

The Scarlets defence was very good though
The future's bright, the future's Cherry and White
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

Doesnt help that a lot of our 1st team are injuried already! :roll:

You going to the game on sat Glaws 55?
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

Glaws 55 wrote:Llanelli virtually had their full team out playing us where as we put out a slightly weaker team to test out some new combinations. The welsh were taking it very serious thoughand were treating it as if it was a league match where i think we were treating it more as a pre season where we could give some guys their first run out in a few months and try to create some new playing combinations.

The Scarlets defence was very good though
similar story at the gardens - saints played a team that i shouldnt think will ever run out in a league match - several debutants (almost a scratch back line) and with key guys like reihana, lamont saving themselves for the middlesex sevens the following day. spencer did play and won the first half 12-10 for us.

in the second half llannelli fielded an entirely different XV and the fresh legs won it.

peel and jones both looked deadly i their time on the pitch.

shifting of power? i dont think so - how welsh clubs fare against english clubs in hc and that other thing will give a better indication. its risky to set too much store by what happens pre-season.
Glaws 55

Post by Glaws 55 »

I'll be at Kingsholm on saturday hoping for a better display than we showed at Stradey park, hopefully the weather will be better :wink:
The future's bright, the future's Cherry and White
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

I'm going to try and get down but wont be finishing work (in Harwicke) until 2. Also have to persuade peopel to come with me!
Never mind the weather, hope the teams going to be better :P
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
Jake Bullet
Tiger Cub

Post by Jake Bullet »

Ospreys 24 - 14 Harlequins.

Typical pre-season friendly with the O's fielding thw whole squad. I know there's only so much you can tell from a pre-season friendly, but I wouldn't expect too much from Quins this year.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I think Ospreys fans were expecting a 10 point win, so 'Quins probably did as well as anyone would expect. They lack the forward fire power to really compete at the top end, IMO.

Good result for Bris though, walloping Cardiff. Pre-season or not, a bad result for the Blues.