It's official - Rob Andrew

Post by Rizzo »

Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Not entirely sure that Rob Andrew (Sqeaky) will be the best man for the job.

Looking at the remit, it still looks like much of OBNC's responsibility is taken away. Much as many on here may think that is a good thing is it actually a good thing as you end up possibly with too many people overseeing selection, looking after the England team etc. It could be said that much of the remit of the new Director of Rugby for England could be undertaken just as well by a decent coach like Sir Clive Woodward.

Incidentally, it seems that the Sir Clive's falling out with the clubs and his comments possibly rightly against Francis Baron are still being held against him.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

well, you never know. he may turn out to be good. like the idea of his 'masterminding strategy and selection'.

and at least he comes for the club scene and should at least have greater understanding of the needs of the clubs who supply the international players and pay their salaries.

I'm willing to wait and see. and hope!
fierysam

Post by fierysam »

At least Dayglo got in with his sucking up before he was appointed.......... and I guess it means that wonder-boy wilkinson is guaranteed his place in the Eng squad..........

But seriously, his track record at Newcastle isn't exactly glorious - 10 years without any real performances or achievements, and every season he believes that this it's their year, that all of his planning will come good...... oh dear..... what can I say......... I'm not going to hold my breathe.
Bingham Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Bingham Tiger »

Damn and double blast. Just when I thought things were getting better with the appointments of Messers Wells, Ashton and Ford the rug has been pulled out from beneath. Apparently there have been interviews held in England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and the best person for the job was languishing in the lower half of the Prem.

Will Andrew be able to inspire the back selection problem?
Will Andrew be able to thwart the club V country row?
Will Andrew be the inspiration to take us to the RWC 2007 final?

I'm one of many not holding my breath but secretly hoping. At least I've had a rant about him on the forum more than once, and can sit waiting in the "I told you so camp"
"Try not. Do, or do not... There is no try" ..... Yoda was obviously a Bath fan
fierysam

Post by fierysam »

Well said Bingham Tiger........ but I'd not really class him as the 'best person for the job'...... I think a better phrase would be ' the best person, who actually wanted the job'

Our very own Pat was approached, but said no, cos no-one could actually tell him what the job was!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Heard afterwards in a private conversation .......

Baron
"Thank god you took the money, Rob. Noone wanted the job, but I'd have looked a right charlie if we hadn't appointed anyone".

Rob
"Thanks mate. I have no idea what the job is, and even less idea how to do it, but my biggest problem will be spending all of the money you are paying me".

Baron
"Yes, I too have that problem".

Or something like that :wink:
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

You never know... Newcastle's backs aren't exactly bad (Wilko, Tait and Noon). He must have had something to do with that. The forwards, however... Anyway, Wellsey should be able to do something about that. I think Newcastle's failure to win anything is largely due to their forwards. IMHO England's strength is in their forwards, mix that with Squeaky's backs knowledge, it might be a good thing. Or am I being overly optimistic ;)
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

dailywaffle wrote:Heard afterwards in a private conversation .......

Baron
"Thank god you took the money, Rob. Noone wanted the job, but I'd have looked a right charlie if we hadn't appointed anyone".

Rob
"Thanks mate. I have no idea what the job is, and even less idea how to do it, but my biggest problem will be spending all of the money you are paying me".

Baron
"Yes, I too have that problem".

Or something like that :wink:
Very true ;)
PlymouthPaul

Post by PlymouthPaul »

Not much of a track record re trophies but he's got bags of potential and ability. it will be fascinating to see how he rises to the challange. although the job spec is lacking, I think it gives him plenty of room to be creative about the role.

I think the raw materials were lacking at Newcastle so hopefully with all of England to go at so he can deliver something remarkable!!
AND THE TIGERS ARE GETTING HUNGRY....
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

As a welshman I can take a detached view on Andrews appointment and wait for it all to go horribly wrong - but I shouldn't gloat too much or we'll probably lose to Canada in the Autumn.

On the club scene, I'm more interested in what will happen to Jonny without a 'H' up at the Falcons. He's shown considerable loyalty to Andrew over the past few years and I wonder with him out of the picture will he stick around, especially if things start to go wrong. Not that I want him to come to the Tigers - he's far too injury prone.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Just been on the Falcons' website and it seems they are not too keen on Andrew's replacement and think this is a good opportunity to bring in a new coach with new ideas and playing methods - not too many sad about him leaving lol
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Well like him or loathe him (I tend to fall in the latter camp as he's a bit of a whinghing get) he does have the best interests of the club at heart. I think the important thing for English rugby is to swallow our pride and get behind him.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Iain wrote:Well like him or loathe him (I tend to fall in the latter camp as he's a bit of a whinghing get) he does have the best interests of the club at heart. I think the important thing for English rugby is to swallow our pride and get behind him.
Absolutely Iain.

The blame for the mess lies entirely with the RFU and in particular with F. Baron OBE. It is they who failed to fire OBNSG and chose insead to prune his wings. It is they who have repeatedly waged war with the clubs. It is they who failed to sort out Junior Rugby at an International level. It is they who have screwed up the Academy organisation.

I wish Rob Andrew every success and all the luck in the world - he is gonna need it!!