best outside centre for us - smith, smith, rabeni?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kelso.
Tiger Cub

best outside centre for us - smith, smith, rabeni?

Post by kelso. »

was looking through everything & i hear matt smith is pretty good - does anyone know much about him? could he be a better option than ollie if he's not on form?

alternatively, who would everyone's fave choice to partner daryl be?
"in such an ugly time...the real protest is beauty"
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Matt Smitt is a great prospect, he did well in the 7s and was outstanding for the developement side last season, but he has not yet been blooded in the primiership, so only time will tell if he is up to it, but as I said yesterday I would like to see him get a run out along side Gibbo.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
kelso.
Tiger Cub

Post by kelso. »

i agree - to be honest if ollie plays to his potential then he's one of the best in the country, but last season he didnt really create anything (maybe due to who was playing 12), it'd be nice to see pat try out someone new though, not convinced by cornwell & hear good things of matt smith - we need some real creativity/penetration there this season - especially considering the impressive signings ALL the other premiership teams have made
"in such an ugly time...the real protest is beauty"
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

kelso. wrote:.... especially considering the impressive signings ALL the other premiership teams have made
IMHO The only truely great signing this season is Abbott for the Quinns by Sir Deano (is he not a sir yet?!!). The rest are average. IMHO there is not another player that has been signed who would replace any of the Tigers first XV with exception to Chris Bell. But even then, Ollie on a good day is better. Leicester also have players such as Cornwell, M Smith and Hipkiss who are coming through. Even the Tigers' second choice players are mostly more impressive that those signings. Let's not forget we have signed two props from two of the best scrummaging nations in the world... IMHO.

Anyway to the point of the thread. I just think it's great that there will be some competition from a youngster with the "older" players. Not that Ollie Smith is old... ;)
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

[quote="kelso."] if ollie plays to his potential

the most oft-used phrase in english rugby?? i do hope this season we see the real ollie smith, in the last few seasons i've seen flashes of it but not enough and certainly not on a consistent basis. :roll:
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
Miss Laura Johnson

Post by Miss Laura Johnson »

:D I think that Ollie is a better choice especally when he plays at his best. Matt Smith is aslo a good developing player but i think that he needs a bit more experiance, maybe try him in different positions? I hope, also, that we can see Ollie Smith on true form this season! :D
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

The silence about Ollie in pre-season has been odd. I fear he might still be unhappy
Ed
Miss Laura Johnson

:) I enjoy watching Ollie play for Leicester. I have noticed that he is not playing at his full potential but hopefully he can start again this season and show everyone that he does deserve the number 13 shirt! (I think he does deserve it!) :D

:? Anyway he is a young and talented player why should he be unhappy? :?
Good luck Leicester Tigers for the new season!
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

He was unhappy because they were playing him on the wing 2 years ago, then unhappy the way he was being used in attack last season, reportedly.
Ed
Miss Laura Johnson

:D I think that Ollie is very good at number 13 and should be a centre for Tigers. :D
:( I just hope that he doesn't leave the club! :(

(Please don't leave, Ollie!)
Good luck Leicester Tigers for the new season!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

redtiger wrote:
kelso. wrote: if ollie plays to his potential

the most oft-used phrase in english rugby?? i do hope this season we see the real ollie smith, in the last few seasons i've seen flashes of it but not enough and certainly not on a consistent basis. :roll:
Maybe the real Ollie Smith is exactly that ..... i.e. flashes of greatness in between passages of frustrating, well, err .... 'non-greatness' ?

My point being that sport is littered with players who really looked the part, but for whatever reason then faded away. This season is, no question, a huge one for Ollie to prove that he didn't flatter to deceive. There is genuine affection for the man on this forum (far more than for some of his team mates who, arguably, contribute more !) and I really hope that it all comes good this year. Time will tell.
Bingham Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Bingham Tiger »

We should definitely start with Ollie at 13. On his day he's our best player at outside centre. It won't help his confidence or happiness if he doesn't start. Hopefully he will have had a good, full pre-season this year. Let's not forget he went on the Lions tour down under and didn't get a proper pre-season. He wasn't the only Lions tourist to have a less than average season.
"Try not. Do, or do not... There is no try" ..... Yoda was obviously a Bath fan
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I do not believe that Ollie is just a flash of greatness, I believe that he should never had gone on the Lions tour so soon after his dad died, I think he would have benefitted from taking some time out,, as he has not appeared to have been the same player since, lets hope the great he has had this summer has recharged his batteries.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
eve stephenson
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by eve stephenson »

Cmon Ollie!! show us your true talent next year!! and bye the way..belately happy birthday :D