Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bigstef »

Personally i'd rather see him at 10
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

mrsmoody wrote:but why would he move to europe and jeopardise his playing career with the all blacks? would be a good signing... would like to see it however before i believe it
I'll give you a clue:

KERCHING!!
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

I would guess that money is not the option for Mauger.

Iain do you really believe that he will come to Leicester before 2011?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Basically I wouldn't rule it out Lea. He is a big part of the All Blacks set up, but then he has been for some time. There is more money to be made in the Northern Hemisphere, and most Kiwis, not just in rugby but in all walks of life, are keen to get abroad and experience a different way of life, with the UK being the most popular place to come. He'll be 26/27 by the end of the next World Cup, I guess his logic could be to come over while he still has something to offer.

I still err on the side of the fact it could be just a ploy by his agent to re-negotiate a contract, but maybe there is no smoke without fire in this case.

What does your Southern Hemisphere journalist friend say?
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

I will let you know on Tuesday. I did speak with him on Sunday about this and he wasnt suprised but he did point out that there are not many real centre's coming through the ranks at the moment.

Muliaina is a full back and the squad has a surplus of wings and outside centre's but nothing much on the inside. So if Nonu or Mauger are out there is no cover.

Do we see a chink in the armour there?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

There is also Sam Tuitupou and Luke McAllister. Tuitupou I didn't rate when I was watching him for Auckland and the Blues in my time out there, I saw him as a big hitter and little else, but by all accounts he's had an excellent season for the Chiefs in the Super 14 having moved there, and got rewarded with a call up. McAllister can play fly half, inside centre or outside centre and looks a useful player. Both are young and could be the future at 12 if necessary.
Remains to be seen, there is over a year for developments on the Mauger front.
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

We've distanced ourselves from it already. In the merc today
Ed
Bingham Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Bingham Tiger »

Mauger in a Tigers shirt. The mind boggles and the mouth waters... We can but hope.
"Try not. Do, or do not... There is no try" ..... Yoda was obviously a Bath fan
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Interesting post on Munsterfans forum
Poster: doc09

18 August 2006 at 5:33pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a current Suttonian, Dublin-born Munster diehard and former team mate of Aaron, it would be nothing short of a DISASTER to see him go to Leicester. I’m convinced that this is a smokescreen and that the NZRFU will go over the odds to retain his services. That’s not to say he would never go abroad to play again, but he has indicated on many occasion that Ireland is very close to his heart, and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't one day return here, be it with Ulster, Munster or even Leinster. While he might never tog out for Sutton again, here’s hoping the powers that be in the MB take a good look at this kid!! Pure class, after Danny Carter, he’s THE best footballer and decision maker in world rugby. Instrumental to Graham Henry’s hopes of winning the RWC
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Perhaps he could use one of the irish clubs as a bargaining tool instead then?

I'm getting a bit fed up with this: Mehrtens, Spencer, Umaga, Betsen - what have they all got in common? - Better contracts; after using Tigers as a bargaining chip. :x

The club need to stop this happening , if there is speculation they need to let people know either way so that in the future the club will not be targeted by players wanting better contracts from their current clubs.

Yes, I have had a bad day if you were wondering!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Postiger, you mean the club should announce they are in negotiations with every player we may be talking to just so the common fan won't be upset if we don't get them? Thats a superb way of alerting other clubs to the possibility of hijacking a deal! I'd still sooner hear nothing until anything is 100% set in stone.
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

I have to correct you on a few points there postiger.

Mehrtens had signed for Tigers and only returned after he was asked to for the RWC.

Spencer asked to join and was refused

Umaga never showed interest in Tigers

Betson wanted to join but did recieve an offer to stay.

Aaron mauger never approached Tigers. His agent made a few telephone calls.

Can we now draw a line under this and move on?