7s - Sky changing the rules?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

7s - Sky changing the rules?

Post by Tyzot »

Don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but the final was shortened from 10 minutes each way as per the rule book to seven - Looks like this was to fit the TV schedule as things were running late. They also cut short the celebrations (no big deal for Tigers fans!) and cancelled the mascot’s game (which I think is really funny and definitely worth the airtime).

Let’s hope that this doesn’t create a precedent for the 15 a side game!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I was at the game and wondered whether the final had been shortened from the usual ten. Turns out it was. Not that it makes a jot of difference, but that isn't on.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hi Tyzot

Yes, I thought it a bit odd at the time, although SKY did say 'sorry' as I remember !

Mind you, I wouldn't mind them insisting on 4 x quarters instead of 2 x halves in the 15-man game :wink:
Hans Hullabaloo

Post by Hans Hullabaloo »

it was the same with the exibition match, the army vs RP, weren't that going to be 10 min each way or where they really going to bring 2 team up to twickers for just 14 mins of rugby.
"Everything You Know is Wrong"
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

You been watching too much Amerrican Football Daily!!

Although again I agree with you.

If needs must TV drives!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Whilst there would be howls of indignation amongst traditionalists (I am not one), and it will take some time coming, I think that commercial pressures will press for '4 x quarters' and will ultimately succeed.

Actually, I can see plenty of positives and no real negatives. For example:

1. winning the toss less important.
2. weather less likely to advantage one side.
3. pressure to score before the end of a quarter.
4. takes the pressure off the half-time rush if there are three of them.
5. more money for the game (advertising revenue).
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

And an two extra occasions to rush out and puff on the obnoxcious weed!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

:lol:

So, we are agreed !
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

We are!!!

But the traditionalists and PC brigade will mount counter arguments!

Some punters will buy more beer and therefore have to visit to loo more often.

Some punters will get hungrier and therefore buy more burghers with more tomato sauce on which they will smear on their neighbours shirts.

Youngsters will get bored in the extra intervals and therefore demand more doughnuts

Car parking fees will be higher.

They will miss East Enders.

etc etc
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

So 4 quarters of 20 minutes each; thats 3 breaks of 15 minutes each; pipe the beer to the seats and use a coin operated timer for beer downloads; just make sure there is some good entertainment in the breaks (bring back community singing) -sounds good? Sorry its sunday and its raining!
nwnreader

Post by nwnreader »

Sorry to try and bring the thread back on topic.......
Cannot find the tournament rules on-line, but reducing the length of a match (whatever code) to satisfy a tv timetable has not happened since the days of Saturday afternoon wrestling - and I don't mean WWF!!! In percentage terms, the reduction was enormous, and I doubt the same will happen in the Charity Shield this afternoon. Is it really so that an extra 6 minutes would not have altered the score, let alone the result?
Maybe the teams agreed, maybe the rules allow for such a change, but I think it is a bad move, regardless of the teams involved.
If Tigers become Lions, how do Lions become Pussycats?
nwnreader

Post by nwnreader »

Sorry to try and bring the thread back on topic.......
Cannot find the tournament rules on-line, but reducing the length of a match (whatever code) to satisfy a tv timetable has not happened since the days of Saturday afternoon wrestling - and I don't mean WWF!!! In percentage terms, the reduction was enormous, and I doubt the same will happen in the Charity Shield this afternoon. Is it really so that an extra 6 minutes would not have altered the score, let alone the result?
Maybe the teams agreed, maybe the rules allow for such a change, but I think it is a bad move, regardless of the teams involved.
If Tigers become Lions, how do Lions become Pussycats?
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I'm sorry but it takes the :censored:! not only have they now lost the biggest attraction of the 7's (invitaion teams from around the world taking part) they are now making the calls on how long games can be played? it just makes me laugh and reminds me of the budweiser advert with the 'no more boring 0-0 draws with new added time MULTI-BALL!'.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

What annoyed me more was when I dashed off for a pint before the semi finals, assumingI would just miss the mascots game. Unbeknown to me, the mascot game had been scrapped as the tournament was behind schedule, so I got back to my seat to find us already 5 minutes into our semi final with London Irish!
Dave Thomas

7's

Post by Dave Thomas »

I was there too -it says 10 minute final on page 4 of the programme. I was also disappointed about the mascots game - they were sitting by the pitch ready to go on. To be positive I thought Tigers played really well- great to see Seru back to fitness and what a promising youngster Tom Croft is. Good play all round with exciting new signings and academy players joining in - I think Lewis Moody would make a good 7's player as well - plenty of speed.
Dave on the Crumbie