Ollie Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bryan Hall

Ollie Smith

Post by Bryan Hall »

Where has Ollie Smith "gone" to?burn out? hope not.
BryanSuffolk
Tiger Tyke

Post by Tiger Tyke »

Don't worry. He is preparing himslef to give the Tigers a blinding season - back to his old best
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

He's here with me in Dublin at the mo, making me a nice veggie meal - I'll send him back over next week :lol:
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

he is Australia pre season training with the Brisbane Bronco's.

Aparently
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Now why would Ollie be pre season training in Oz when he should now be training with Tigers? Does this suggest he's on his way out of the club?
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

No, it suggests he was in need of some more training than that which could be provided by the regular Tigers pre-season stuff.

He's probably back at Oval Park with the rest of the boys by now but he was still in Australia a few weeks ago with Broncos as has already been mentioned.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Hopefully then he'll be back to better form than he was in last season. A long way to go at a lot of expense just to get your form back.
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

he is tuning his skills in a different environment.

Hi G. how are you?

I understand that he is trying to become an inside centre....makes sense really
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Why would Ollie want to become an Inside centre? he is better at outside. Anyway I thought Tigers were honing Hipkiss to be at IC. All very strange to me. Why change someone's position to another when they are good enough in their already said position. And who will now play OC?

BTW Lea sent you an email last week regarding Josh's B/day did you get it. Also just sent you a pm asking the same question. Has your email changed?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

g I think it actually makes more sense than you think. He is quick enough, big enough and reads the game well enough to be able to play at Inside Centre. You'll recall that he did play there for Tigers on at least one occasion this season, and Stuart Barnes (who talks more sense than he's given credit for here) was very excited at the thought, saying it could become an option for England. It is another option thats worth looking at. I'd say it is unlikely he is looking to become an out and out inside centre, he's hardly going to ditch his ability to play outside centre is he? Although there are subtle differences, 12 and 13 are similar positions in any case. This could make him a far more well rounded centre. Time will tell.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

In days of old inside centres were crash bang merchants who created a half a yard (sorry 0.47m) and tied up the defence for the silky running outside cetres to exploit.

More recently inside centre has become another fly half.

Who knows what tricks Pat has up his sleeve??
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I think both forms of inside centre can co-exist to be honest Bill. The second fly half notion is one that appears most commonly in the Southern Hemisphere. In New Zealand, the ten is referred to as 'first five-eighth' and the 12 referred to as 'second five-eighth', with the 13 known simply as the 'centre'. I feel this is significant in seeing the key relationship being 10 and 12 in the backline as opposed to 9 and 10 or 12 and 13. That said, its not exclusively a Southern Hemisphere trait. The merit of it was shown perfectly in the World Cup quarter final when Mike Catt came on, in essentially a second five-eighth role and for all intents and purposes, won us the game. The traditional role of the 12 still exists, it is more than useful to have someone who can take good crash ball and drive a defence back, drawing men in. When Umaga played 12 for the All Blacks, this is something (amongst other things) that he bought to the position. In reality now, I think the ideal 12 is a cross between the two forms of twelves.

That was quite analytical for this time of night.... I really need a job to stop me posting so late!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I admired the analysis Iain!!

There should be added, of course the OBNSG model - two crash bang centres!!!

In the World Cup it was relevant, I think, that Wilko had been sussed by the opposition (and was carrying an injury??). I would hardly see the need for a second 5/8 with Phil Bennett or Barry John at fly half!!

I guess the trick has to be one step ahead in tactics ahead of the opposition

And to balance the line in both attack and defence - which of course introduces the back row into the equation. With Peter Winterbotton guaranteeing to win the ball should Carling go to ground (over the gain line) and not make the half yard for Guscott then ..........

I look forward to seeing devlopments in the coming season.
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

Hi Bill W and hello Iain,

I think Pat is looking at Ollie as another Ma'a Nonu or Stirling Mortlock. There are huge similarities in the way they read the game and play the game.

Ollie needs to improve his kicking and for me then he will be the finished article.

Developing talent is something that Pat and the Tigers do very very well.
Bingham Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Bingham Tiger »

I think Ollie Smith would make a good inside centre. Not only does he read the game and defensive lines well, he also links up well with Goode and playing them closer together could be a good thing. Hipkiss could play at outside centre and the combination would trouble most defences in the prem. Also we could be getting ready for a post Gibson era at 12. We have quite a few options at 13, but not too many at 12. Ollie is the best all round centre out of the 13 options and most likely to succeed at 12.

Even if Ollie doesn't play at 12, it can only be good for him and improve him as an all round rugby player and give Howard options.

Can't wait for the new season....
"Try not. Do, or do not... There is no try" ..... Yoda was obviously a Bath fan