Farrell

Post by DCat »

AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

I was hoping he'd be playing against Glaws tomorrow but theyre resting him until the beginning of the season.
Thought the friendlies would be a less pressured environment to bring him in to :roll:
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
ljbuk63
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ljbuk63 »

My good god the plot thickens...

This just seems crazy to me. One I would have started him at inside centre and certainly he is more 8 than 6. But also in the same article it states Hill (IMHO formerly the best 6 in workld rugby) is going to be fit a raring to go, how on earth could they pick farrell over him ??? Bonkers
The BIGLOO
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

ljbuk63 wrote:My good god the plot thickens...

This just seems crazy to me. One I would have started him at inside centre and certainly he is more 8 than 6. But also in the same article it states Hill (IMHO formerly the best 6 in workld rugby) is going to be fit a raring to go, how on earth could they pick farrell over him ??? Bonkers
According to the Sarries website, Hill is injuried.
Again the plot is thickening more :P
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
ljbuk63
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ljbuk63 »

SilensFatuus wrote:
ljbuk63 wrote:My good god the plot thickens...

According to the Sarries website, Hill is injuried.
Again the plot is thickening more :P
Read this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 780645.stm
The BIGLOO
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

How is he going to make it as a six?? Flanker is the one position that doesn't exist in rugby league!! Inside centre would make some sense, but a position where only his strong running will be of any use. Key roles for a flanker:

1. Compete in scrums: Someone tell me the last time they saw a contested scrum in League

2. Be a line out option: No line outs in League.

3. Compete for the ball in the tackle area: There is no tackle area in League. You get tackled, you get back up.

Really his only use that is transferrable from League is running hard and direct from the scrum.

He's 31 years old for Pete's sake. Talk about teaching old dogs new tricks. Absolutely ridiculous!
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

It was recently said that he has the same 'aura' as Martin Johnson...err...
me think not.
Would be fair to give the guy a chance though, looking forward
to seeing what he can do in union, if he's anything like Jason Robinson
then you English are in for a nice treat. :wink:
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

yeah i read in the paper they were playing him in the back row... where we arent exactly short of good players. centre on the other hand? hmmm...... :roll:
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Another excellent point that I'd thus far overlooked mrsmoody!
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

:D why thankyou iain!
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com
Bingham Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Bingham Tiger »

Is there something that has happened on the Sarries training pitch that we don't know about that's inspired them to pick Farrell at 6? Or is this some elaborate joke at our expense?

According to a prop at my rugby club who has been watching both codes for many years, Farrell is the most gifted, natural and talented all round rugby player spawned in England. (His words not mine) And for someone that is this good coming from a League background, surely inside centre is the most obvious, natural position for him. Isnt' it? As previously mentioned by mrsmoody, we have plenty of good forwards that can compete at an international level, however at 12...... If Tait is the future of England rugby at 13, and Farrell is the best all round rugby player we have, then aren't we looking a gift horse in the mouth?

I wonder if Andy Robinson has had a say in the matter. He has previous experience at picking players out of position, and the RFU has stumped up enough cash towards the Farrell investment that they may have (or should have) some influence. Or would that add even more fuel to the club v country debate?

I maybe wrong, and I'm looking forward to finding out and seeing the big fella on the pitch...eventually......I hope.....PLEASE!!
"Try not. Do, or do not... There is no try" ..... Yoda was obviously a Bath fan
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Maybe he will be a great success, then go back to league and convince them to reinstate the flankers into the game?

Either way, we've got some comedy ahead of us. :)
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

There is no evidence that Mr. Farrell has the necessary skills at 6. Winning the ball in the tackel - capturing the ball at the breakdown?

There is some evidence that he could succeed at inside centre providing he can leaqrn how to lay the ball back in contact.

OBNSG cannot afford to experiment with him at 6. Ergo Sarries have to!!