Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Players who Shook the Crumbie #33: Lewis Moody

Post by Iain »

Should be a popular one today!

It is amazing to think actually how much service Lewis has actually given us. Making his debut in 1997 as a fresh-faced 18 year old, Lewis has developed from being an energetic and enthusiastic but lightweight and a little raw round the edges back rower into the fine ball winning all action powerhouse flanker that he has become.
Lewis has always been earmarked as an openside, but has played second fiddle to Neil Back for Tigers and England for most of his career. However this hasn't been all bad news, as the education he has had off Neil and indeed Josh Kronfeld is quite probably what has made him the player he is today. Also, it has turned him into an excellent blindside in the eyes of all except Andy Robinson.
Although Lewis would be the first to admit his discipline occasionally needs attention, he wouldn't be the player he is without that edge. The amount of ball that Lewis wins that he has no right to win is incredible sometimes, while in the loose such are his ball skills he is like having an extra back in attack.
Lewis has pretty much achieved it all already. Premierships, Heineken Cups, Lions tourist (even making the team for the final test in Auckland and grabbing a consolation try) and of course, World Cup winner. It was Lewis' take from Steve Thompson's line out in the last minute of the World Cup final that allowed Will Greenwood to take crash ball to set up a ruck in the Australian 22..... and the rest is history. Despite these successes you get the feeling that Lewis still wants to achieve more at club and international level, illustrated by his relentless enthusisam on the pitch. With a catalogue of injury problems now behind him, this year could be set up to be a very good one for Lewis.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

What a cracking write-up, Iain. :D :D :D :D

Lewis would be very proud to read that I am sure!

All spot on and although frustrating at times he has given his all for Tigers, England and the Lions. Has been a tremendous and very skilful servant for all of the above and as you say learnt well from Neil Back and Josh Kronfeld. very tru about the amount of ball Lewis wins and his ball skills in the loose. He has scored important tries for both club and country.

Lets hope Lewis's injury and discipline problems are all behind him and it will be a great year for him.
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Could not agree more with both Simon and Iain.

One thing that people don't mention when talking about Moody is just how quick he is over the ground. I have countless recollections of him chasing down centres and the like, for Tigers, England and the Lions.

A modern legend, famous and infamous all in one package.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I just don't understand how some people can slate Lewis like they do. He is such a quality player. Fast around the park, energetic, enthusiastic (maybe too much sometimes) and incredibly skillful. I think he might have learnt a lot from Backy about winning the ball and ball retention, because he does it soo well. In the current England squad, he would be one of the first names written (if I were picking the team!!). IMHO one of the best flankers in the world over the last few years.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Never been a massive fan of him to be honest.
chandler262827
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Players who Shook the Crumbie #33: Lewis Moody

Post by chandler262827 »

Iain wrote:It was Lewis' take from Steve Thompson's line out in the last minute of the World Cup final that allowed Will Greenwood to take crash ball to set up a ruck in the Australian 22..... and the rest is history.
And it was Lewis' pressure on Mat Rogers which caused him to slice his clearance kick, thereby giving England an attacking line-out position in the first place.

A wonderful player in terms of commitment, attitude and skill. The term 'giving it 100%' could not be more applicable. Even if he does give some downright daft penalties away. :wink:
---------
I'm not completely worthless, I can be used as a bad example.

Tom
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

couldn't agree more. if you wanted someone in your corner, Lewis's name would be first on the list. huge commitment, allied with great skill. terrific player and we are really lucky to have him at Tigers. truly one who shook the Crumbie.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Pellsey wrote:I just don't understand how some people can slate Lewis like they do. He is such a quality player. Fast around the park, energetic, enthusiastic (maybe too much sometimes) and incredibly skillful. I think he might have learnt a lot from Backy about winning the ball and ball retention, because he does it soo well. In the current England squad, he would be one of the first names written (if I were picking the team!!). IMHO one of the best flankers in the world over the last few years.
I fairness to OBNC (controversial thing to say, I know !) he has indicated that Moody is one of the first names on the England sheet.

I have also, I would say, detected a grudging admiration from those people who used to slate him. Probably ties in with the much greater self control he has shown recently.

He is just about the last person you would want to see on the teamsheet if you were playing England (with the possible exception of a fully fit JW), and has blossomed into a world class flanker.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

I should think Lewis shook the Crumbie by crashing into it on the restart. :P

Oz (as ever) summed it up, by describing him as "A lovely man .... a complete maniac". If he's got his discipline back together this year, then I for one am going to enjoy watching him.
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

well done iain :D coudlnt agree more :lol:
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

one of the few Tigers players who turned up in the Premiership Final last season (one just gone I mean)
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Lewis is one of those players who seems to be everywhere, puts himself on the line time after time, and gives amazing performances. OK, occasional lack of discipline (but many are guilty of that) - I'd pick him in any world side.

And as Cockers commented at the Members evening "Completely bonkers!" :lol:
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Excellent write up Iain. Totally committed player often to the point where winning the ball is more important than personal safety (!)

Also a totally nice bloke, had the pleasure of welcoming him to our club to talk to 100 young players on the Tigers course a year or two ago. He spent loads of time with them answering questions, signing everything and anything they could lay their hands on and generally inspiring a group of young players to go out there, play rugby and believe in themselves.

One of the long line of role models Tigers have which my kids look up to.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.