Best Rugby Player Of All Tine

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

As best player ever? Henry is not in that bracket by a long chalk. Compare him to the likes of Dean Richards or Zinzan Brooke and he doesn't even come close.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

he's a good player but as Iain said he's not in this bracket
dozza

Post by dozza »

Best player as many have said is an impossible question but if I had to give it an answer, it has got be to Lomu at his peak.

No one I have ever seen could dominate a game the way he could. I watched a rerun of the ’95 semi on ESPN the other day. What a performance!

If you take all the attributes of a rugby player – pace, power, strength, skill, agility, aggression, defense, rucking, mauling etc etc, his would be possibly be the only name you could put a tick in every box (with the poss exception of kicking). I am sure he could have played as an international backrow, center and of course wing.

As far as the spirit of rugby is concerned look what the guy has gone through and still made a comeback. Why? Because he loves to play rugby. Read what happened when he and Johnson went to see Matt Hampson in rugby world the other day. A further testament to his character.

Yep all in all I think you have to put him top of the pile.
Lions Tour to SA '97. Why did it have to be Guscott with the drop goal?!!! It almost makes you wish that we had lost!!!
The Turn

Post by The Turn »

Johnno, without doubt
Oscar666

Post by Oscar666 »

Just noticed no mention of Jason Robinson in anyone's team either. Up against stiff competition at both wing and fullback no doubt, but proven world-class ability in the toughest of arenas (Lions, RWC final) - and that's not even counting his achievements in League.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

what am sure is JR is a quality player ,
whether he fits into this bracket i'm not so sure about :?:
but when he starts those cheeky side step runs you know your wathching a special player !
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Brian o'Driscoll.

No explanation needed.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
outwide

Post by outwide »

Have to stick up for a few of the Irish here

Keith Wood??????

Mike Gibson????

Brian O Driscoll??Mind you if he moved to Munster he would be seen as the best centre in the world :lol:

You would have to have them on the best team I think.
Neil Back you are now forgiven...................
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hi outwide.

Wood - might well make the best ever British & Irish team, but Sean Fitzpatrick edges him out.
Gibson - very good shout, undoubtedly one of the best ever centres / FH.
BOD - nope, obviously a very good player but I wouldn't put him in that 'legendary' category occupied by Sella and Gibson.

Pam

JPR or Blanco at FB, very tough call.
Edwards - yes, he was the best ever, wasn't he ? Just brilliant.
dozza

Post by dozza »

Made this team up from when I first got into rugby circa '91 World Cup, so apologies for the greats like Gareth Edwards etc not included.

1. Steve McDowell
2. Sean Fitzpatrick (C)
3. Olo Brown / Phil Vickery (can’t choose between them – anybody any ideas?)

4. Martin Johnson
5. John Eales

6. Michael Jones.
7. Richie McCaw
8. Zinzan Brooke

9. Joost Van der Westhuizen
10. Daniel Carter

11. Va'aiga Tuigamala
12. Philippe Sella
13. Brian O Driscoll
14. Jonah Lomu
15. Serge Blanco

I know it is a bit New Zealand looking but I found I could not leave any of them out.
Lions Tour to SA '97. Why did it have to be Guscott with the drop goal?!!! It almost makes you wish that we had lost!!!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:

Post by Dangerous4 »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:25 pm As a scotsman - always happy to see brilliant rugby - even happier to listen to commentry from the one and only legend - Bill Maclaren - without doubt the best ever commentator in any sport anywhere - The greatest! and a Scot!

Looking back at posts before my time on this forum, I spotted the above.

I have to say that his commentating would always get me excited about the games he did. What a loss he was, and no one has got anywhere near his knowledge and enthusiasm since.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Best Rugby Player Of All Tine

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I remember watching and reading a few players like BOD suggesting that in terms of pure talent and genius Caucau was the best they’d ever seen.

Shame he couldn’t do it for a longer period of time at the top level. More of a shame he never got on the plane from Fiji to come to Tigers when it was all set up for him.

We might have seen him over the course of a season or two and had something truly special.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 am I remember watching and reading a few players like BOD suggesting that in terms of pure talent and genius Caucau was the best they’d ever seen.

Shame he couldn’t do it for a longer period of time at the top level. More of a shame he never got on the plane from Fiji to come to Tigers when it was all set up for him.

We might have seen him over the course of a season or two and had something truly special.

I remember that. It was a real shame. Top quality player, and we missed out. :smt022
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Just opened up this trail and not looked at any responses. If the name Gareth Edwards isn't first of the team sheet then well.......not matter what the stage, no matter how high the odds, the man always had another gear, to rise above absolutely everyone else.

AND a fantastically modest guy to this day.