Smoke free zone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

If they're going to ban it in all stands and on the terrace then fair play. Can't imagine they would ban it in open areas between stands. If they do, I shall just have to wait 80 minutes before I have another smoke. No big deal.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

But it's on the terrace where smokers burn other people's clothes with the cigarettes. Also it's more closely packed together so more people are affected by one smoker.

I've got to agree with smokers though in some respect. Alcohol can be far more dangerous for others than smoking (with drunks attacking people etc) short term, with pssiave lung cancer obviously longer term. Smoking is just more unpleasant for non smokers (unless there is a drunken idiot outside at 0300 in the morning singing "it's a long way to tipparary").
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

The trouble with the Millennium Stadium is that the area where everyone can smoke is the area leading to the toilets and bars, and exits. So basically, the area where absolutely everyone HAS to go. So you end up stinking of fags and unable to breathe while you take care of your necessary bodily functions (drinking). It would be better if there was some little stinking hell hole you could shove all the smokers where no-one else would want to go. Like Swansea... :wink:
Mountsorrel Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Mountsorrel Tiger »

Ah Swansea - bit of a long way to go for a smoke!

Pellsey, I agree with you completely about smoking on the terrace - I didn't smoke when in Dublin for the HC QF as the terrace was packed, and people couldn't get away from it.

CT - the last time I was at the Millenium Stadium, for the Powergen Cup, the only smoking area I noticed was outside, so you had a couple of hundred people stood outside smoking while there was nothing else out there in terms of bars and toilets, so people didn't have to go there unless they specifically wanted to. I thought it was almost the ideal, as it was easy from my perspective to smoke, whilst I didn't feel as though I should feel guilty about my addiction as people, and more specifically kids, had no reason to be outside the stadium - especially as the wind was bloomin cold! Maybe it's different in other areas of the stadium, but where I was it seemed to be the ideal situation.
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

MT - oh that sounds ideal, then. Wonder why it wasn't the case when I was there last? Perhaps it was because it was for a gig rather than sport? Welcome to the forum by the way from me.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Nik wrote:Hi Sim, thanks for that, I must have misheard her then, but it was definitely a big point of discussion.

As a steward can i ask you to pass on the following please:

We have fantastic stewards on the Crumby Stand, no kidding some of them are really A1, but every single week we have a clown who will spark up in the stands and guess what the Stewards are nowhere to be seen.......... please keep a look out. I don't personally care if they smoke on the terraces because i'm not there but I do take offense when they spark up in the Crumby Stand, it's :censored: dangerous.

Thanks again Sim and here's to next season.
No probs Nik it was a big point of discussion at training in fact probably the most serious part of the day so i imagine that it will be dealt with but yes if you still have problems PM me and i'll bring it up in pre-match breifing. Where do you sit, maybe i'll see you. (im on gates for the first 4 games but after that im going to normal stewarding)
Mountsorrel Tiger
Tiger Cub

Cheers CT - have already been on here as Durham Tiger, but managed to not use it for long enough for it to get scrapped!

The Millenium Stadium may well have different rules according to what is actually going on there - I remember going in 2003 to watch England Wales and you could smoke anywhere except the actual seating area.

I think the majority of smokers are fairly reasonable! Does anybody, possibly Sim, know whether you can go outside the ground at half time - I guess if they put a decent system in place so you could nip outside the gates for a smoke, then it wouldn't be an issue, providing it worked well enough to make sure in 10mins people could get out, smoke, get back in and be sat down in time for ko. which I would imagine would be a stewarding nightmare!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Unlikely, MT. The gatemen are under strict instructions, although you might find a soft one somewhere
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

We've had this debate* on the chit chat.

I don't smoke, have never smoked, but I don't like the way that smokers are treated like the scum of the Earth.

*However, I'm not going to bother again because we're not allowed to debate it at all. Not in the sense of a real debate where the other view is allowed.

You can debate it by saying all smokers are lying cheating murdering inconsiderate warped nasty smelly dirty disgusting miserable time-wasting wretched loathsome cretins who should be loaded into camps and tortured for a while before being blown up.

But if you say something outrageous like: "Well couldn't they be allowed to smoke in a designated area" you'll be roundly abused by the the insane and vitriolic anti-smoking Mafia.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

DCat wrote:Unlikely, MT. The gatemen are under strict instructions, although you might find a soft one somewhere
DCat is right as far as i know you are not aloud to go out once you are in. But at the moment you can still smoke under the stands etc but i think the new legislation is about no smoking in public areas so i don't know if this will include the whole ground or just all stands and the terrace; we shall see.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I was once told something like this:

smoking is about as sociable as urinating. If you want to smoke whilst standing by me, fine, as long as you don't mind me relieving myself at the same time. Oh, and sorry if your clothes get 'contaminated'.

Mind you, that did happen to me on the terraces at the old Arms Park many years ago ! :lol:
Mountsorrel Tiger
Tiger Cub

dailywaffle, do you believe everything you are told?

I don't think it is quite the same!
shareholder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by shareholder »

having just returned from north of the border Nosmoking rules even in public toilets not looking forward to new season on the terrace among the smokers, come on tigers get your act together and have a complete No smoking even in the bars it will be the law in 2007/08 season. :?
old fart
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

dailywaffle wrote:I was once told something like this:

smoking is about as sociable as urinating. If you want to smoke whilst standing by me, fine, as long as you don't mind me relieving myself at the same time. Oh, and sorry if your clothes get 'contaminated'.

Mind you, that did happen to me on the terraces at the old Arms Park many years ago ! :lol:
You know i think you have summed it up in one, apart from urinating on someone wouldn't affect there health, but yeh i totally agree there.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Mountsorrel Tiger
Tiger Cub

My understanding of the new laws is that inside a public (or private for that matter) bar smoking is banned, but outside, in say a beer garden, it will not be illegal to smoke. therefore the terraces may not be covered in the new legislation providing smoking doesnt go against health and safety laws.

and in no way, shape or form is smoking next to somebody the equivalent of urinating on them! what planet are you on? or are you the ones who think Goode is the worst 10 in the world as well?