Smoke free zone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Bill W wrote: As you may have suspected my tongue was in my cheek.
I think this is the point. I enjoyed Bill's arguments because they were contraversial and amusing.

The problem I have with being a NON smoker is that I don't want to be EVER associated with ANTI smokers because they can be so insufferably boring when they go off on one.

Shut up the lot of you, you've won the argument, smokers will have to go to the moon for a fag before long and then it will be banned there too.

And stop repeating yourselves. And stop being so righteous.

I have spent over 5 decades not smoking so I can be much more smug than any of you. I just don't want to be.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Kinoulton. The last thing I wanted to be is smug (see South Park episode on Hybrids and Smug in San Fransisco) and have nothing against people smoking if they want to as long as they don't bother anybody who doesn't want to smoke. This is simple respect. I would like to classify myself as a NON-smoker rather than an ANTI-smoker too, but I AM against people bothering other people with such things be it smoking around non smokers, overly drunkenness (being being slimey and annoying), f@rting on people, people who wipe their hotdogs on your new shirt, oh and people who wipe their fags on your new shirt, or even worse on your hand. Yes, I am applying for the new serious of grumpy old men ;)

Bill, sorry mate. I missed the point completely. I kinda get what you mean. Things like meat on the bone for fear of BSE etc is crazy. I too hate PC righteousness, hence I love South Park. If anybody has seen the episode "butt out". The children start to smoke because the "anti-smokers" start to say that smoking is not cool but they are, where in fact the anti-smokers are the geeks. Talking about PC, in Germany certain diesel cars are taxed 1500 euros because of their emmisions. madness. [/quote]
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

So my earlier question where are the smoking areas going to be put if we have them, theres no room at the moment so does anyone have any idea where we could put hem, it needs to be added into the new plans for the stadium or else smokers won't have anywhere to go.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Sim, thanks for what you said yesterday ;)
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Ah, good point Sim.

The earlier analogy about smoking next to someone is like urinating on them:-

Let's take it further. People have to urinate, so rather than have them doing it all around us, we build them a special place where they go and do it out of sight.

Since people who smoke are addicted, which means they HAVE to smoke occassionally (just like we have to wee-wees), we should make them a place to do it.

They may be smokers but the HAVE paid to get in. You wouldn't pay to get in a place that didn't have toilets.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Boondock.

I stand corrected on Franklins Gradens.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

oh no, bill w, theres plenty of seats there too. :?

always full on matchdays mind.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Pellsey wrote:Sim, thanks for what you said yesterday ;)
No probs.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

i think the principle that applies here is the 'harm principle'; an individual has the right to do as they please provided it does no harm to anyone else. You can argue what the term 'harm' means, but I think it is reasonable to accept that passive smoking can be considered 'harm to others'. This is the priniciple that has driven the arguments for a ban on smoking in public places.

On this basis a smoking area could be designated in the ground, provided it can be sufficiently isolated from non-smokers. If this cannot be achieved then this leads to the conclusion that smoking should be banned completely within the stadium.

The comparisons with drink are spurious in the case (although not necessarily in a wider social context), as the harm principle is already applied. The ground officials have the right to refuse entry or eject anyone who is so drunk they pose a threat to others. You have the individual right to drink but only in so far as it doesn't affect anyone else!
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

time for a slice of humble pie.

franklins gardens has gone smoke free, as of last fridays 'friendly' against scarlets. all the bars, boxes etc are non-smoking, coming inline ahead of the legislation. the only area that smoking will be permitted in is the village area by the lakeside, as its outdoors., though part of it is covered by the south stand.

still relatively easy to get to / from though.

apologies bill. i'll get me hair shirt.