Question on Jeff Wilson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Question on Jeff Wilson

Post by simon redshaw »

I have a query on ex- All Black, Jeff Wilson. Remember him?

I know he played quite a few times for the All Blacks but has he also represented New Zealand at cricket?

Iain might know the answer to this one at the very least.
Proud Tigers Fan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Proud Tigers Fan »

I belive he captained the New Zeland cricket team.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Thanks Proud Tigers Fan. :D :D :D :D I thought he might have played cricket for NZ but wasn't sure. And he captained them too.

What's he doing now?
Proud Tigers Fan
Top Cat
Top Cat

I dont think he doing much these days. I no he retired from cricket a few years ago.

Dont really here his name much these days do we.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I have just found a biography of him. He retired from rugby at 28, and went back to cricket. He got into the NZ one day-side but has had a few injuries as a result of his rugby and had a injury earlier in the year that threatened his continued participation in cricket. He also had problems with fragments of bone in 2000 and had to have an operation for that.

That's the most recent news.

I always thought it was sad though when he left rugby relatively young after such a good but relatively short career with the All Blacks.
Proud Tigers Fan
Top Cat
Top Cat

I didnt no he was that young when he finished playing rugby.

I thought he captained the cricket team but i may be wrong.
nikos

Post by nikos »

Concerning the 2006-2007 season, Jeff Wilson will join back the Otago Highlanders, but not as a player, he will be in the technical staff. :D

But........ what a great player he was :shock: :shock:
"Il y a des gens que j'aime et que je traite de cons, mais il n'y a pas de cons auxquels je dis que je les aime."
Frédéric Dard
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Sorry I got to this late, only just got back!

Yes Jeff Wilson DID play for the All Blacks and the Black Caps. In fact I actually saw him play for the Black Caps last season in a couple of one day internationals in Auckland. For the Twenty20 game against Australia there was a brilliant moment on the big screen when he was pictured sat next to Jonah Lomu on the New Zealand bench, who had been invited to join the team for the day. True sporting great, held in high regards by New Zealanders and is also married to the captain of the New Zealand ladies netball team (the Silver Ferns),
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Very much agree with your comments there on Jeff Wilson. Jeff (Goldie) 's done well marrying the captain of the New Zealand ladies netball team (Silver Ferns). I hadn't realised that he was playing for New Zealand in the cricket last season. Iain, that must have been a great experience for you to see two such NZ greats together for the Twenty Game against Australia. I have been to Eden Park. Unfortunately the game I went to see was rained off!