RFU win!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

nwnreader

Post by nwnreader »

I think the assertion the RFU have 'won' could be mistaken. I doubt there will be any winners here, only degrees of loss. The judge included in his judgement that the parties should be resolving these issues without resorting to litigation. Money that would be better spent on rugby is lining lawyers pockets. I fear this will end in tears.
If Tigers become Lions, how do Lions become Pussycats?
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I very much agree with you nwnreader.

Its time now for both parties to start talking to each other more sensibly without threats and counter threats. Time to start negotiating a common good for the game like negotiating around not playing during the internationals periods etc.

The two sides are making Rugby Union a laughing stock in this country.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

BOOOOOO TO THE RFU, GET LOST AND FIND SOME OTHER PLAYERS OR JUST SIMPLY STOP ANNOYING US PREMIERSHIP TEAMS, GRRRRRRR
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Sim wrote:BOOOOOO TO THE RFU, GET LOST AND FIND SOME OTHER PLAYERS OR JUST SIMPLY STOP ANNOYING US PREMIERSHIP TEAMS, GRRRRRRR
Some say that the RFU WANT to keep annoying the premiership teams, to the point where they win the central contract argument. In which case, spats like this will continue.

They may be right.

A 'break away' moves one small step closer.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Dailywaffle, I can understand your argument about the aims of the RFU. But would a break-away by the clubs really be for the benefit of the fans and for rugby in general in this country and also I wonder if the clubs could feasibly manage their own league. Also, there is the fact that the English clubs would I believe then be unable to play European rugby so there would be some loss of revenue. I believe a break-away move would have serious financial effects on all Premiership clubs.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

INHO the breakaway is indeed one step nearer.

The RFU in the small print of its submission said that no PRL player would play more than 8 matches. Thus the Argentina game is relagated to a "Saxons Team" but where does that leave training days?

Doubtless the RFU will now try and throw money at the problem.

But it is all too late.

Will end in tears - as it was always going to.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

But, Bill, what good is a break-away if it damages rugby in this country or at least weakens the clubs financially? Although I very much understand frustration with the RFU too. It seems that the RFU have arranged the extra game to prove a point. The Argentina game will not sell so well now if it is to be a Saxons Game. Also, why did we need two games against SA?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

simon redshaw wrote:Dailywaffle, I can understand your argument about the aims of the RFU. But would a break-away by the clubs really be for the benefit of the fans and for rugby in general in this country and also I wonder if the clubs could feasibly manage their own league. Also, there is the fact that the English clubs would I believe then be unable to play European rugby so there would be some loss of revenue. I believe a break-away move would have serious financial effects on all Premiership clubs.
Hi Simon - Indeed, these are some of the issues that have prevented a more dramatic response from the clubs. It is not at all clear (to me at least) that a stand alone premiership is currently viable. The clubs cannot move until it is, which some would say is what the RFU is banking on. In other words, the RFU hopes that they have the clubs by the short and curlies, ultimately passing player control to the RFU. I genuinely have no idea which side will win, but the status quo is clearly absurd to any observer. RU is still a joke in this country, organisationally speaking, and one of the reasons why I no longer have a season ticket.

Bill - nice to hear from you - miss anything whilst I was away in the States ?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Simon

I do not think a breakaway is a good thing - but it is becoming IMHO inevitable.

I also do not think the RFU planned the NZ game to "prove a point" - they did it because they thought it was a "good idea" and wouild make money - they did not think any further - remember they believe they "own" all PRL players.

Do Club England need all these games - with the associated training sessions? Only to generate revenue for the RFU.

It will all end in tears.

Where is "El Supremo?"
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Dailywaffle

You may have missed me having my knee operated on!!

I agree with your analysis.

In the death money will talk.

You wanna come to a Tigers game at Welford Road any time just shout - you can have my sons ticket!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Thanks Bill, I will take you up on that. I wouldn't want your son to miss out - would you mind pm'ing me with any info on how many days you have 'spare' ? This beggar will not be too choosy !

Hope the op went well.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Have PM'd!

Op went well! Now suffering Physiotherapists who are trained to inflict pain!!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Bill, glad your op went well. Don't worry about the Physiotherapists!

Dailywaffle, hope you had a great time in the States. Where did you go there?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I don't worry about them Simon! But gorgeous blondes are supposed to carress me back to health aren't they not beat me into submission!!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Very true Bill!