RFU win!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JimboC
Tiger Cub

RFU win!!!

Post by JimboC »

The 4 Autumn Internationals are now confirmed so we won't be seeing too much of our first choice 15.

Mr Tom made comments as to a break away if things didn't change between PRL and RFU, so the coming weeks might be interesting.
Jimbo C.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I can just about hack losing our players to England (just about) but what really bugs me is this. if a player only plays 20 minutes or less for England, he can turn out for his club the next day. how often last season did Dayglo, for example, come on as a sub for England on the Saturday then turn out for the insects on their Sunday match? and how often did we get landed with Friday evening matches, so we couldn't use our England players?

it should be the same for all premiership clubs - all play on Friday or Saturday or all play on Sunday over the international weekends.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I very much agree with you CJ. That's one thing that rankled with me last season, particularly regarding the Insects. I think they benefitted quite a lot from having the odd international available for them on the Sunday last season. The matches around an international weekend should all be played on either the Friday or Saturday.
RoyalBlueStuey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RoyalBlueStuey »

CJ wrote:I can just about hack losing our players to England (just about) but what really bugs me is this. if a player only plays 20 minutes or less for England, he can turn out for his club the next day. how often last season did Dayglo, for example, come on as a sub for England on the Saturday then turn out for the insects on their Sunday match? and how often did we get landed with Friday evening matches, so we couldn't use our England players?

it should be the same for all premiership clubs - all play on Friday or Saturday or all play on Sunday over the international weekends.
*THUNK* (that's the sound of the nail being hit on the head)

...here endeth the lesson.
Everton is the dominant species. I am Everton
http://garstontowers.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/garstontowers
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

I was trying to get tickets for the Wuss game on 5/11, I won't bother now as half the team will be away. I wonder how many of the sellout will be unhappy now? :lol:
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Sorry but it's time to get real.

Club fans are ripped off big style. Reserve teams abound.

The RFU don't give a toss about the faithful.

Keep filling the stadia to watch a 2nd rate competition.

It's why I gave up my season ticket years ago.

A club's true strength is bled by internationals................A total joke.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I used to be proud of the number of Internationals that Leicester had (in the first few years of me being at Welford Road, they used to really show it off in the programs), but as it stands now, it is a total pain and hinderance to the club.

What I would personally like to see is International games not to be played at the same time as Premiership or European games. I don't care about the Anglo Welsh ;) :lol: :lol: Therefore the clubs nor the countries would lose their players. However, this is not going to happen because somebody somewhere would lose money from it. Don't you just love professionalism.

I never went to watch the Tigers because of individual players, I went because of the team. It's frustrating not to be able to watch the best team, I agree, but I would support anybody wearing a Tigers shirt. I even used to love watching the second team play! Now I'm frustrated because I can't watch any Tigers games live (possibly unless they play in Paris) because Luxembourg to Leicester is a rather long way to fly every weekend. :x If I were rich, I would do though!!
RoyalBlueStuey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RoyalBlueStuey »

madoqua wrote:Sorry but it's time to get real.

Club fans are ripped off big style. Reserve teams abound.

The RFU don't give a toss about the faithful.

Keep filling the stadia to watch a 2nd rate competition.

It's why I gave up my season ticket years ago.

A club's true strength is bled by internationals................A total joke.
I'd say in rugby country has to come before club but it has to be a level playing field.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

The other thing I like is that when the Internationals are away, you get a chance to see the "up and coming" players more often. I'm not saying that's a good situation to have to have, but due to circumstances (Internationals, injuries etc) players like Matt Cornwell have been given valuable game time, which in a messed up kind of way, can only be good for Tigers' future.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

RoyalBlueStuey wrote:I'd say in rugby country has to come before club but it has to be a level playing field.
Personally, I would support Tigers any day more than England, especially at the moment. Supporting England unfortunately for me is like supporting the RFU, which is basically incompitent. For the players though it is obviously one of the highest honours and it is what they strive for.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I don't quite agree with the first part of your statement Pellsey.

I support Tigers before England too but also support England and want the national team to do well. For me that's not down to supporting the RFU but having pride in the country. I do also like the All Blacks but when England are playing I like them to do well.

However, I agree with your statement that the RFU are basically incompetent.
RoyalBlueStuey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RoyalBlueStuey »

Pellsey wrote:
RoyalBlueStuey wrote:I'd say in rugby country has to come before club but it has to be a level playing field.
Personally, I would support Tigers any day more than England, especially at the moment. Supporting England unfortunately for me is like supporting the RFU, which is basically incompitent. For the players though it is obviously one of the highest honours and it is what they strive for.
Yeah us fans it's a right pain when your season ticket is devalued by the internationals* but ultimately in rugger the game must come first.

The thing is that the RFU simply has to level the playing field on it. It's so blindingly obvious so why can't they sort something out. I'd like to think that this is just a growing pain. Professional rugby is still in it's adolescence, hopefully it'll come out in the wash....in the mean time though I don't see why it's Tigers who should be getting walked all over.

*although I'm primarily a Waterloo fan so let's face it : it ain't ever going to effect me.
Last edited by RoyalBlueStuey on Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Hi Simon, Maybe I expressed myself badly. Of course I want my country to do well (I work with French and Irish people.. otherwise I get some serious stick!!), but the way that the RFU have screwed up the England team, and possibly the Tigers players is unforgivable. The poor England players are helpless against its powers ;) :lol: Seriously though, I'm finding it difficult at the moment sometimes to really overly care about England, because of the incompitence in the coaching and the managing of the RFU/ England team. I feel that every time I watch England, I know that tactically they are going to be bad and not going to play to their full potential. Hopefully this will change when Ashton and Wellsey get their say a bit more.

As you said Stuey, it's even worse for the Tigers because we lose more players than anybody else. We get punished for having good players. It's beneficial in the Premiership to have New Zealanders or second rate players, because the successful players are taken from us. :evil:
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Hi Pellsey,

I agree with your sentiments about the RFU and England there. Hopefully Brain Ashton and Wellsey will improve things with more imput on their part.

Agree totally too with your second paragraph. Tigers do lose out through having so many internationals, which is why at the very least we should have no GP fixtures favouring a particular club. All matches played either the Friday or Saturday or all on the Sunday after the International games. However, I would prefer no Premiership games at all during the Internationals periods and maybe play Anglo Welsh games then instead.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Bad news! It seems the judge ignored the long form agreement except the sentence which stated that players would be made available for all international matches.

That means the rfu could organise any number of international matches as and when they feel like, and demand that clubs release their players. Absolutely disastrous.

My opinion of the legal system has never been great, but now it is as bad as my opinion of the rfu. This country deserves better. :evil: