RFU win!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

simon redshaw wrote:Bill, glad your op went well. Don't worry about the Physiotherapists!

Dailywaffle, hope you had a great time in the States. Where did you go there?
Aside from meeting my old friends with my kids (i.e. Mickey, Goofy, Donald and the crew - haven't seen them for a few years so thought I would see how they were hanging in WDW) ....
saw a properly run sport. Baseball. They don't have these ridiculous RFU v PRL stand offs over there, and I have to say that the 'fan experience' is something that we could and should learn from.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Meanshile, back at the ranch - rfu and prl gonna fall out big time - just watch the selections for the autumn internationals. Only way rfu will avoid breakaway is to theow £M at prl and we are talking mega £M - double digits - like £20M+
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Sounds much better all-round. RU would do a much better image in this country if the RFU vs PRL quarrels stopped. What is the "fan experience" in baseball?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

simon redshaw wrote:Sounds much better all-round. RU would do a much better image in this country if the RFU vs PRL quarrels stopped. What is the "fan experience" in baseball?
Hi Simon

Not all of the following is necessarily applicable to Tigers / Rugby, but a brief outline of a 'day at the ballpark':

Follow signs to supervised parking. Follow clear signs to gate (great if you don't know the geography of the stadium).

Arrive early, to get autographs (can often get an autograph or ball during warm up), souvenirs or join in with various BBQ's, parties etc.

Get kiddies goodies (free bats etc often available on designated 'fun days').

Visit numerous food and drink stalls (or even numerous loos !). Proper meat in dogs and burgers !

Watch pre-match competition (home run derby, kids competitions etc.)

Get top-up drinks and eats from the mobile vendors that service each block (i.e. beer brought to your seat !).

Anthem, cheerleaders etc.

Take advantage of breaks (9 innings in a baseball match) to nip to loo if required (no queues).

Watch game, with ball by ball replays on the big screen.

Live updates of all concurrent matches shown on screen.

Great music in between live action, with extra stuff in their equivalent of half time (7th innings stretch).

Basically, the actual game is just an (important) part of the day, but you can still have a great time even if your team loses a 1-0 yawn. I feel that over in the UK the clubs feel that its their job to just play the game, but any other entertainment is your (not their) responsibility.

Of course, I am not a 'traditionalist' and am very happy to accept change that provides the family with a better day out for their money !
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Dont panic we wont have many in England Squad they are not good enough
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Pobably eight! I suppose that is not too many!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Yes and we'll also have at least two in the Irish squad! Not to forget the Under 21s etc.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Chuter, White, Kay, Deacon, Moody, Corry, Ellis, Goode and Varndell are all probably pencilled in, I would think. So could well be 9, and will be at least 7 (ignoring Ireland etc).

Bill's 8 looks about right.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

That's were the likes of Martin Castrogiovanni and Marcos Ayerza will earn their stripes particularly in the Autumn Internationals. Paul Burke maybe too. We have Scott if not selected. Frank Murphy may get some game time. There will be a need to dig deep again but Tigers have prepared at least a bit better for that this time round.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Dailywaffle, I was very impressed with your list of your desciption of a baseball day. Plenty of things for people to watch, much to eat, luxury of beer being brought to your seat, replays, other match scores, cheerleaders, great music etc etc. That sounds like a great day and as you say lots that clubs in this country can learn from.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Goode no chance Wilkinson is back and Hodgson.
Ellis no chance I would not even have him at Tigers
White is over the Hill and the game has moved on

Moody Yes
Kay could do but may not get past the Bath pair.
Corry may not his pace has gone and we need to be more mobile.
VArndell is not ready but probably will be picked.

Chuter not really good enough but with Titeril out may get a bench slot.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

But remember it is OBNSG who is selecting the squads!!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

1) Depends on how fit Johnny Wilkinson is and how ready to play internationals again. Not altogether cast iron that he will be back. Ollie Barkley may well be considered too though.

2) You wouldn't even have Harry at Tigers? No way! He played pretty well at times for us last season and on his day is as good as any other scrum half in England. He could do still a good job for England. Of course he should be at Tigers.

3) Julian still seems to do a good job for Tigers and isn't disastrous for England either. So he is not over the hill and he can still cope with Today's game.

4) I agree over Lewis.

5) You're probably right.

6) I don't agree that Martin Corry's not mobile enough to play for England in Today's game either.

7) I agree that it is likely Tom will get picked.

8) George can be good enough to play more at International level.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Hi Simon and dailywaffle. IMHO I find all that American "entertainment" seriously tacky... cheerleaders etc. I enjoy watching the rugby and am there to watch the rugby only. Any other distractions would just annoy me. queueing for the loo is a bad thing though. I don't like the idea of 9 innings in rugby though ;) Somebody bringing beer to the seat sounds good, but I'm sure those people would get in the way of people trying to watch the game? Real meat in burgers and saugages.. now that sounds nice ;) I live in Germany so I get that. Just not quality rugby :(

1) Johnny probably won't be match fit. However I guesstimate that Walder and Barkley will be backups to Charlie boy, so fortunately we probably won't lose Goode and in turn, he won't lose his form (which he will get back over the summer ;) )

2) Harry or Bemond will be playing for Tigers most of the season. We will hopefully only lose one of them. Even better would be to lose neither of them... but :(

3) Julian is one of the best scrummagers in the world. You surely can't be suggesting that scrummaging isn't important?! ;) He's not exactly mobile, but IMHO a strong scrummager is needed, especially when Sheriden is being played at loosehead.

4) Lewis played amazingly towards the end of next season. Hopefully he will play like that and more often this season. ;)

5) I think Kay will be thereabouts.. .depending on his form. Maybe not making the first 15, but maybe on the bench.

6) Corry... that's debatable. I think he's great as a captain. If he weren't captain next season, maybe another player could play 8. IHMO, I would still play him for England.

7) I think Varndell should definately play for England :( and will be picked. He despirately needs experience.

8 ) Chuter played very well for England towards the end of the season. I think he will get stolen by England.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bill W wrote:But remember it is OBNSG who is selecting the squads!!!
Absolutely, that is the point. I was predicting who may well be in the squad, as opposed to who should be.