austin healy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Foe me Austin Healy is a true Leicester Great

I hope that we see a lot of him in the media, because he's very good value.

His modesty is such that I am told that he is in awe of his own presence.
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Loved him! :D :D :D
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Rizzo wrote:as I said above, when playing and on form he could have moments of sheer rugby brilliance which would leave you open-mouthed in awe, and like him or not, he will be missed.

I have to agree that there are fewer "characters" in sport generally, watching a bit of Wimbledon it struck me that I missed people like Nastase, McEnroe, Becker, and it would be a great pity to see rugby go the same way. I know nowadays they're professional sportsmen and have to concentrate much more etc, but I'd rather see rugby keep the "characters" and not slide into automaton play. That's my opinion anyway.
Bit late responding Rizzo but your analysis is spot on.

I wonder what happens to snooker's TV audiences once Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan have gone out of a tournement?

You have to have characters in any sport if you're to get the crowd really involved.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
seansdrs
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by seansdrs »

Oz is a legend. Not just a Tigers legend but an England legend too. Tigers, the GP infact Northern Hemisphere rugby will be less entertaining without him. Yeah his mouth got him in trouble at times, but as a player he is truly one of the greats. I bet everyone on the forum, without thinking too hard, has at least 1 game in mind from Tigers, England and the Lions when Oz was without doubt unbeleivable. I know 1 game doesn't sound much but can anyone say the same about Dawson, Gommarsal or any other Northern Hemisphere player from Oz's generation??
There's no point whinging in the bar afterwards! Do your talking on the pitch and silence any critics!
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

I recommend 'The Austin Healey Story' to any one who hasn't already read it! Its a great read :D
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

hodge wrote:yes he was good at times i agree but who would you have started if you were the manager

austin
ellis
bemand

id have to say harry all the way personally
Austin. Undoubtedly Austin. In his heyday he was one of the greatest Tigers to ever grace a pitch. A true Leicester legend, and one of my heroes.

Hodge's next post exclusive: "Dean Richards did nothing for the club"

Sammy's next post exclusive: "Hodge clearly hasn't been watching Tigers for very long and should expect to be shot down!"
seansdrs
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by seansdrs »

Got to agree with sammy it has to be:

Oz
Harry
Bemand

Its a close run thing between harry and bemand, but having played against harry and hated it I have to say he is better.
There's no point whinging in the bar afterwards! Do your talking on the pitch and silence any critics!
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Agree with sammy aswell. Oz by a country mile. Don't know what this rubbish is about keeping him away from the 10 shirt either. I thought when Bemand and Oz were at half backs last season Tigers played their best rugby. Oz was a genius rugby player who could probably player superbly at hooker if he wanted to.
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

LOVE HIM!!! On and off the pitch!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

I absolutely adore the fact that my post has been edited! How sensitive are we really!? Irony Iain my friend! I doubt Martin is of that persuasion anyways.

Back on thread Austin was and is the most exciting player I've ever seen down Welford Road.
simone
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simone »

Possibly one of the greatest backs (and players for that matter) that have played for Tigers - he always gave his all for the team.

Tremendous cover defence too...i remember numerous occasions where he saved our bacon by covering back and making that crucial tackle!

And who can forget the break and pass he made in that final in France!!

He will be a great loss to the game and tigers...but hopefully see him more in the media...liven up the stiffs we normally get as pundits!! :lol:
Phil anj
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Phil anj »

Healey is a legend and was awesome at scrum-half and if he stayed there he wud of without doubt got more caps for England. People say he was a selfish player yet many ppl dont no how many times he wud but his body on the line and play for tigers wen he was injured most memorable being the european cup final in Paris when with an injured leg he was still able to win us the game by creating an amazing try for leon in the corner.
He shud be remembered not just for his humour as he definitely will be but also for his rugby skills which were always better than most of his opposition.
Tigers r the best! Forget all the rest!
Ollie smith rules
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ollie smith rules »

oz is a legend. He was great on and off the pitch (apart from signing autographs after matches :lol: ). Hopefully he will be back on the bbc during the 6 nations :D :D :D
:-) TIGERS rock especially Ollie, CRANE, Moody, Crofty, and Matt C :-)
i_luv_oz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by i_luv_oz »

Love him, great guy, great player
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Austin is right up there with Johnno and Backie. He could play anywhere in the backs, but I personally preferred him at 10. The only thing he couldn't do better than everyone else at 9,10,11 or 14 is penalty kicking. Tigers will miss him a lot.