Players who shook the Crumbie #20: John Liley

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Players who shook the Crumbie #20: John Liley

Post by Iain »

A stalwart in the letter O jersey at full back through much of the nineties, John was steady and reliable under the high ball, happy to join an attack where needed, and was an excellent goal kicker. He perhaps struggled with the transition from amateur to professional but did last a few years into the professional game. During his time with us he won the Pilkington Cup in 1993 and the Courage League in 1995. A heartbreaking missed penalty on the last day of the 1996 season against Quins prevented Tigers making it two in a row, but the Crumbie still considered Liley to "walk on water".
John was solid and dependable, and held off a challenge from Wayne Kilford for his starting place around 1994. Eventually the game evolved to the point where strong and dependable wasn't quite enough, and John moved on to be replaced by Michael Horak.
SimW

Post by SimW »

It was the game against West Hartlepool that signalled then end of Liley. A certain Tim Stimpson was at 15 for WH that day and although his team got mullered he showed what a big strong 15 could do! Sadly he initially signed for Newc and not us.

Liley was one of my heroes but I never understood why he kicked using sand as he always said that he used a cone in practice. Bizarre!
CubbyTiger

Post by CubbyTiger »

Excellent kicker as you say, and underated attacking game.

I will always remember him for some absolutely pathetic tackles though. I don't know whether or not it is a true reflection, but in my memory he was the worst tackler i have ever seen!!!
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

By all accounts, he didn't usually bother to practice his goal kicking in training. If that's true, that's pretty impressive!
It's only cheating if you get caught.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

CubbyTiger wrote:Excellent kicker as you say, and underated attacking game.

I will always remember him for some absolutely pathetic tackles though. I don't know whether or not it is a true reflection, but in my memory he was the worst tackler i have ever seen!!!
Sounds like another number 10 I know...........
jojo

Post by jojo »

I remember the tassels on his socks,
I'm sure they helped with the wind directions!! :D
All roads lead to home...
You just might have to turn round once in a while.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Now here is a true fan favourite! Great player, and a great servant.

Plus, from where I was standing it looked like that kick against Quins went over! It was very high if I recall, higher than the posts, which made it hard to judge. But it looked good to me. :wink: