jonny wilkinson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 1:49 pm
Location: leicester

jonny wilkinson

Post by champanzie » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:12 pm

has anyone got any news on jonny. hows he doing? does anyone know whether he will be good nough for the 07wrc
Come on you tigers!

Iain
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8161
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: Market Harborough

Post by Iain » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:16 pm

Well he's training again. Will he be good enough for the World Cup? Only time will tell.

alex_111
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:54 pm

Post by alex_111 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:18 pm

Saw an interview with him yesturday, he says hes totally fit, has been since the last couple of games of last season and is hungry to play.

k1
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:04 am

Post by k1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:20 pm


london_tiger
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: London

Post by london_tiger » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:23 pm

Jonny will never play for England again. The moment he kicked that ball through the posts in the last minute of extra time against aus- that was it

How can he be hungry when he's achieved what he set out to achieve- he may as well just retire now

k1
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:04 am

Post by k1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:35 pm

london_tiger wrote:Jonny will never play for England again. The moment he kicked that ball through the posts in the last minute of extra time against aus- that was it

How can he be hungry when he's achieved what he set out to achieve- he may as well just retire now
By that logic none of us would have seen Federer play such great tennis at Wimbledon this year; Pele wouldn't be the first name that springs to mind when thinking of great footballers; and Johnson, Back et al wouldn't have won so much silverware for the Tigers.

london_tiger
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: London

Post by london_tiger » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:48 pm

k1 wrote:
london_tiger wrote:Jonny will never play for England again. The moment he kicked that ball through the posts in the last minute of extra time against aus- that was it

How can he be hungry when he's achieved what he set out to achieve- he may as well just retire now
By that logic none of us would have seen Federer play such great tennis at Wimbledon this year; Pele wouldn't be the first name that springs to mind when thinking of great footballers; and Johnson, Back et al wouldn't have won so much silverware for the Tigers.
Yeah, but apart from number of achievements, Jonny also always seems to be plagued by injury, and the likliehood of him reaching his previous form is minimal. It is likely that he will not make the RWC07 squad because of either lack of form or injury

seansdrs
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:58 am
Location: Wirral

Post by seansdrs » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:50 pm

I think we will see him at RWC07. But unless he has a truly awesome 06-07 season, I think it will be at 12 outside Hodgson.
There's no point whinging in the bar afterwards! Do your talking on the pitch and silence any critics!

bigstef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:28 pm
Location: Aylesbury
Contact:

Post by bigstef » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:58 pm

I think personally he will, he looked very impressive in the few games he played at the end of the season and he certainly does look hungry, he offers something Charlie doesn't compatbility, Hodgeson is world class but the players around him cannot play with him and i think with Wilkinson at 10 your backline would function a whole lot better

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4454
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Tonbridge

Post by simon redshaw » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:13 pm

I agree with all that Bigstef. Lets hope Johnny makes it back into an England shirt. Would be great after all his problems since the World Cup.

moody#2 fan
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:14 pm
Location: Leicester, Hinckley

Post by moody#2 fan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:19 pm

seansdrs wrote:I think we will see him at RWC07. But unless he has a truly awesome 06-07 season, I think it will be at 12 outside Hodgson.
:?: :?: :?:


IS that a joke... Its not funny...Your really contemplating playing one of the worlds top fly halfs out of position, just to keep Hodgson in the team when he only has rare good games???

Pellsey
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Post by Pellsey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:06 am

Hodgeson world class.. ha ha :lol: If that were true, it would just prove the lack of decent fly halves in the world. He is IMHO the worst in the Six Nations, not even thinking about worldwide.

I really hope that Johnny can get back to a shadow of how he was a couple of years ago.

If there really is a need to put two number 10s in the team (God only knows what's going through OBNSG's head) it would make less nonsense (I was going to say more sense, but the idea would be rediculous to anyone other than OBNSG IMHO) to put a world class fly half at 10 and Hodgeson at 12. But I couldn't really see the point of that, because the only feasable reason my humble mind can think of for having 2 fly halves is to give more kicking options and Hodgeson is not exactly a great kicker. He's not a bad running fly half, but running is what somebody like Abbott can do far better.

hodge
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:59 pm
Location: Nottingham

Post by hodge » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:19 pm

but who would u pick to wear the number 10 jersey for england with charlie on such good form?

Jess
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2675
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: On a hill in the middle of nowhere

Post by Jess » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:07 pm

hodge wrote:but who would u pick to wear the number 10 jersey for england with charlie on such good form?
if jonny gets back to his top form, then him. But Charlie otherwise.
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot

hodge
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:59 pm
Location: Nottingham

Post by hodge » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:10 pm

yer id say the same

suppose it would be nice to see wilko 10 charlie 12

the idea of wilkinson at 12 dosent work hes not an attacking player as much as charlie or barkly

Post Reply