***Another top Ospreys signing***

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

I'm intrigued by what are surely big-money signings. Presumably the Celtic League doesn't have a salary cap? Or are the Sprays being very canny about circumventing it? If the latter, perhaps there is something to be learned.
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

g wrote:I really am not interested at all in what the Ospreys are doing or not doing. :roll:
Well dont read the thread then......Simple !
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gate wrote:I'm intrigued by what are surely big-money signings. Presumably the Celtic League doesn't have a salary cap? Or are the Sprays being very canny about circumventing it? If the latter, perhaps there is something to be learned.
No salary cap.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'm not certain whether there is a cap in the Celtic League, though I'm sure our resident Celts will set us straight.

There aren't really any ways round the salary cap though, and it would certainly be impossible to merely flout it. Its an argument that comes out here any time anyone signs anyone remotely international class.... its just good budgeting, pure and simple. Much as most of Tigers' internationals are home grown, they still command an international players wage or they'd be off elsewhere. And we have LOTS of internationals!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Beat me to it Osprey. Quite surprising that when you think about it!

Though I suppose as the regions are essentially franchises of the WRU there doesn't need to be one as it is haemerraging money and can't afford to sign all and sundry anyway!?
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

No way of circumventing it at all? Not even the carrier bag full of wonga passed over in the Asda car park? I'm disappointed. Perhaps someone could pass me one of those carrier bags instead. :wink:
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Iain wrote:Beat me to it Osprey. Quite surprising that when you think about it!

Though I suppose as the regions are essentially franchises of the WRU there doesn't need to be one as it is haemerraging money and can't afford to sign all and sundry anyway!?
Your sort of correct there, the WRU own 50% of each region and the funding is something like this-- $750K each season to Blues, Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets.When that is added to monies they receive for participating in the Heineken Cup, Celtic League and Powergen Cup, each region will get approximately $2.1m next term, an increase of 300,000. The WRU have now started to make a profit on the stadium after being in serious debt, this has resulted in the extra funding.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Looks like Ospreys will maintain third placed Welsh spot then, behind Cardiff and Llanelli, and avoid oblivion!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Would not be too sure of that Pete - Newport Gwent Dragons tied with them this season on points. Maybe oblivion (the bottom of Charlottes Hot Tub?) beckons!!!!
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill W wrote:Would not be too sure of that Pete - Newport Gwent Dragons tied with them this season on points. Maybe oblivion (the bottom of Charlottes Hot Tub?) beckons!!!!
we finished with 10 points more than them actually, you do really need to do more research if you dont want to look so silly all the time.
AlaskanTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by AlaskanTiger »

But then again why would we want to look at the results and tables of an inferior league?????????

The six nations win last year appears to be the pinnacle of welsh rugby for the millenia!
Please, Please just let me get to Welford Road at least once next season!
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

AlaskanTiger wrote:But then again why would we want to look at the results and tables of an inferior league?????????

The six nations win last year appears to be the pinnacle of welsh rugby for the millenia!
To be charitable, let's assume that you are a WUM.

Or, possibly, is this an example of the one-eyed xenophobia that makes the English so loved around the world ?
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

don't worry Bill we all know that you aren't silly.......... :lol: :lol: some people are quite disillusioned aren't they, wonder what they'd think if they really knew what people thought of them? :lol: :lol:
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Why thank you Nik.

I am sure OiL is proud that Ospreys finished in the bottom half of the mickey mouse league.

Of course as is observable dissillusionment is a terrible thing and perhaps as can be observed also gets in the way of rational though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW had you noticed that in the "fire sale" of Osprey shirts the price is now down to £15