Survival of the fittest (and tallest) in the crumbie stand

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BruceMKirk

Standing in the Seated Areas.

Post by BruceMKirk »

Let there be no mistake about this. What we are talking about here is not spontaneous exuberance following a try being scored. I've complained here before about the silent majority who want the pleasure of following a winning team but who are not prepared to put in the effort to support the team winning.

No, this is about those people who stand BEFORE the try is scored. And the fact that they turned to look at me before they stood says, very clearly, that it was not spontaneous but deliberate disregard for anybody else.

As for this not being justifiable, its as justifiable as not smoking in the stands or not making a noise when there is a kick at goal.
cc

Post by cc »

unohoo is right it has only been a problem at a few games and, if my memory serves me correctly, these were games where more tickets were on general sale and therefore people coming in who are not there on a regular basis. It's great that they are able to, it must be very frustrating not being a season ticket holder and have such trouble buying tickets; but for goodness sake have some manners and consideration for others.
It only takes a few to jump up without thinking and block others views and they automatically get up without thinking and block more people's views, who automatically get up so they can see and block more people's views, who automatically get up so they can see ... and so it goes. It seems to me it is pure selfishness on the part of a few which leads to a bigger problem as the majority are only trying to make good.
I do remember it being announced at the start of one game, maybe that should be done as it is with silent kicks. I can only see it as common courtesy and have found it difficult reading the comments of those who seem to want to stand out of excitement and do so with total disregard for others. We can get excited whilst sitting down until after the try has been grounded surely?
I’m lucky as I sit on the front row of the Crumbie so when it happens it does not affect me. But I would not dream of standing up during play as there are others behind me. When it does happen the majority of people around shout “Sit down” but if it keeps happening they then have to either join in or not see the key action.
BruceMKirk

Standing in Seated Areas

Post by BruceMKirk »

I agree with you cc. Crowds generally know what the rules are. Its when tickets go on widespread general sale that we have people who are unaware of the convention.

I think its important for the club, especially on those occasions, remind people of the rule, just as they do with silence during the kick and just as there are no smoking notices posted on the stantions.

The difference is that the guy on the public address can hear when people call out during the kicks and is prompted to make the reminder. He doesn't have his view obstructed by people standing and so, does get the same prompt.

In those circumstances the prompt should be routine just as there are routing announcements made prior to Heineken Cup matches.

I also think there should be notices posted on the stantions.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Very sensible suggestions - hope the club takes note.
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

I know, let's make Tigers an exclusive club for season ticket holders only, we could have video surveillance around the ground and anyone seen standing can have their season ticket revoked, and be put on a blacklist so they can never return.
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

Don't give them ideas tigerstotty lol :lol:
cc

Post by cc »

tigerstotty wrote:I know, let's make Tigers an exclusive club for season ticket holders only, we could have video surveillance around the ground and anyone seen standing can have their season ticket revoked, and be put on a blacklist so they can never return.
I am sure you recognise that no one (well certainly not me) is suggesting that. A bit of common courtesy is all that is required.
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not so sure about others cc......
Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

I stand on the terrace but didnt actually see AT score his try or Sticky score either of his but I'm not hung up about it and I'm 6 ft tall.

As has been said if it were a big problem the club would take action.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

As has been said if it were a big problem the club would take action.
that is my general line of argument.

unohoo, I was going from this definition given by BruceMKirk:
To quote from the matchday programme (p.31):-

"Standing in Seated areas of Welford Road

Spectators are reminded that there is to be NO standing in the seated areas at Welford Road. In addition to obstructing the view of other spectators, it is also a ground safety issue and could put at risk Tigers' ground safety certificate".
For the record, i think the 'they looked at me when theys toiod up is a bit of a flimsya rgument......

But yes. It cannot be big safety issue - tigers do not do anything about it. If you want to have it sorted propperly - write to the health and safety office [don't remember its name] and explaint he situation - but if anyone does- expect for there to be no standing at all, and then after a few stand for the stand to close down! If they are notified, they have to come down by the book.

So for the conceivable future you shall, i am afraid [unless you try and get your seat moved] have to put up with people standing when they feel like it - and try to enjoy the atmoshpere.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

This one is dragged out about twice a season and its obviously come round again. I have seen the piece in the programme every week about not standing in the seating areas, but my question is "No one, to my knowledge has been removed from the seating area for standing up <during play>"...or have they ? If the club are going to try and enforce something, they have to be a bit more robust in their statements. For example, forget the people who get excited about someone running down the wing and being in a try-scoring position, what about people who get up and go to the toilet mid-game (when the game is in play) and the people who go a get another beer (when the game is in play) ....do I need to go on ? My daughter needed the toilet after 20 minutes of the first half...she got up and went, no doubt blocking a percentage of peoples view in the process....my point being, if the club are serious about stopping this, my daughter should have been either warned to sit down by stewards or removed from the ground for standing when she shouldn't have been !!

The club have put it in writing in the programme, and quite rightly hope that common sense prevails. Like I said earlier, when all of the tries against Irish were scored, people in from of me and a couple of rows forward stood up.....it didn't bother me and I also stood up....one because I couldn't see and two, becasue I was excited. No one complained and we all enjoyed the moment.

...depends who sits around and behind you I guess !!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

.....and another thing !!!! :wink:

....where does it state that you should be quiet when a kicker is preparing to kick ??? In the majority of Premiership grounds, the away kicker would be subjected to boos, whistles and general banter before and during the kicking action......I can't see a problem with this....kickers will tell you that they are pretty much "in the zone" and blank out any noise before kicking anyway...obviously there is the sportsmanship and politeness angle and we all want to be seen to be a fair crowd at Leicester Tigers....I am not convinced that someone over the tannoy TELLING me to keep quiet, in the interest of both teams is something that I particularly like to be honest !!....its a bit like "WAVE YOUR FLAGS !!" :roll:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

BelperJon

That situation is infinitely close impossible.
If it wasn't, then tigers would have done something about it.

Personally, I think if someone was to fall over on the tp row when everyone was still standing, then they would be more likely to be caught than if everyone was sat down.
Unless they were very very very very very big of course.
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

there are lots of pros & cons, but will it get sorted 100% i doubt it
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

What about this? During the re-development, get seat belts fitted to all seats, which must be compulsory. A warning could be sounded in the control centre if anyone were to unfasten said seatbelt during the match, then the SAS could swoop on the culprit, drag them out of their seat and we could have a public flogging at the end of the match