Survival of the fittest (and tallest) in the crumbie stand

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

Because...
I would imagine...
It is ingrained into people to stand up while watching a sport if excited.

It does not, in truth, cause a situation where there is likley to be real danger.

It does seem to the majority [as wrong as this may sound to many reading this thread] very anal, to try to stop people standing up and cheering if they are excited about play, or if they can't see what is happening in the corner.

It would be very hard and not practical at all to sovle the 'problem'.

Suggestions?

Showing people the rules obviosuly doesn't work - because the reason is not justifyable- if people standing up during play did actually spell ground closure, then Tigers would have done something about it.

Thats the crux of the matter - standing up is not inheritantly dangerous!
It is merely red tape, to save the clubs :censored: incase of an extremely unlikely problem.

People do not expect that when they stand up that will result in the ground being closed!

So it shall continue!
I could continue but i really need to go and do some work, and you are probably bored of reading this thread by now!
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

So, BruceMKirk, is your interpretation of what is printed that NO standing means just that? i.e. even when celebrating a try?

If it is a safety issue, what about the 69,000 that pack into Old Trafford each week and leap up and down in excitement? Or any of the other hundreds of grounds around the country? Or, is it just WR that this applies to.....
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Iain

Unobstructed view on the terrace? I'd like to know where you stand then.

We have to get onto the terrace when the gates open so we can get to the front and get a clear view. After that no chance.

If we get to the terrace even an hour before ko we have no chance of getting a view. I always am looking at the back of someones head and cannot even see the pitch if I don't arrive on the terrace for gates opening.

So as far as your unobstructed view is concerned I think your having a larf cos I haven't come across it YET.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Serves you right for being so short then :lol:

The view is unobstructed unless you are of a height below average. There are certainly no view obstructing pillars in the way for sure. I am only 5"10 but was on the back row of the terrace on Saturday and got a decent view. You sometimes have to lean and bob and weave to make sure you catch everything but thats the terrace for you! I wouldn't have it any other way. If you are behind someone too tall you can move.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Or if they stand in front of you just before ko and they are 7ft tall then they can move.

I also get that as well I've been stood on the terrace for hours and some eejit who's touching the bleedin sky always comes and stands in front of me. Why should I move also when I ask them politely to move themselves elsewhere they look at you as if you are dirt.

That is even more reason why we won't be watching Tigers next season. We're all fed up with the hassle of it all.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

tigerstotty,

Totally agree - so much infact that that was the next point i was going to make before i ran off to do some 'work'!

further - if you take that rule - you would also have to stop people having standing ovations for people such as Matt Hampson at half time etc.

This sounds like a horrific argument, but You cannot have it both ways

Standing or no standing, that is the question, seeing as the vast majority allow standing at some point, then breaking the rule is not significant, and when it is 'right' or fair to stand comes down to individual's preferances and judgements.
Stuart Kirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart Kirk »

4 wrote:Standing or no standing, that is the question, seeing as the vast majority allow standing at some point, then breaking the rule is not significant, and when it is 'right' or fair to stand comes down to individual's preferances and judgements.
So it's fair for someone to block my view of the game just because of their preferences/judgements?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

Stuart - you have misinterpreted what i posted.

I said each individual has to decide themselves whether it is fair for them to stand whenever they feel like standing judging on context and circumstance - for example the people behind them.

I did not say it was fair for someone to stand infront of you.

however technically and really :censored: pedantically [this is me being pedantic, not you just to make that clear], seeing as you advocate the Tigers rule, if you say standing for a try is fine, then you must be going against the tigers rules -and therefore, can have no problem with people standing when they want.

i am very sorry if this sounds patronising, -I think your issue is fair enough - but you need a better basis for your argument than a rule that you ureself agree its fine to break.
Stuart Kirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart Kirk »

4 wrote:Stuart - you have misinterpreted what i posted.

I said each individual has to decide themselves whether it is fair for them to stand whenever they feel like standing judging on context and circumstance - for example the people behind them.

I did not say it was fair for someone to stand infront of you.

however technically and really :censored: pedantically [this is me being pedantic, not you just to make that clear], seeing as you advocate the Tigers rule, if you say standing for a try is fine, then you must be going against the tigers rules -and therefore, can have no problem with people standing when they want.

i am very sorry if this sounds patronising, -I think your issue is fair enough - but you need a better basis for your argument than a rule that you ureself agree its fine to break.
Ok, so I will rephrase my previous post - is it ok for someone to block my view, as long as they consider it fair?

Yes I can have a problem with people standing when they want if it blocks my view of the game!

The basis of my arguement is that I am paying for a game, parts of which I cannot see. The rule is just for discussion.
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

i can't see this issue being resolved on here, we had it earlier in the season & no doubt we will have it next season again, so there is really no point in going over old ground :roll:
Stuart Kirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart Kirk »

The more people that take it onboard here, the more people to try and make a difference in the stand...
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

well it has not worked all this season, so can you really see it making any difference
Stuart Kirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart Kirk »

Can only try... What other option do I have?!
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

4 wrote:tigerstotty,

Totally agree - so much infact that that was the next point i was going to make before i ran off to do some 'work'!

further - if you take that rule - you would also have to stop people having standing ovations for people such as Matt Hampson at half time etc.

This sounds like a horrific argument, but You cannot have it both ways

Standing or no standing, that is the question, seeing as the vast majority allow standing at some point, then breaking the rule is not significant, and when it is 'right' or fair to stand comes down to individual's preferances and judgements.
Yet again, you completely ignore what the rule says:

NO standing while play is in progress.
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

tigerman wrote:well it has not worked all this season, so can you really see it making any difference
Well, following the thread about this at the start of the season, it has only been an issue for me at 2 or 3 games, which is a significant improvement. So it would appear that it has worked.