Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Post by Faulks04 »

If only manu could stay fit . He changes everything. He’s the one player who would make a massive difference to this team .centre is and has been a problem for a long time , there just isn’t a production line of players
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:10 pm The captain is the voice to the team and ref, as for England it is a change of captain and one that should allow the new captain to stamp his authority on the team and show what he has got.

EJ decided to ditch Farrell as captain so that’s why Lawes should be allowed to take the reins.

As for Tigers, we are lucky to have a number of captains and vice captains who are positive influences that clearly got the amazing team of players the prem title!!
So what I said then Also Lawes originally took over when Farrell was injured, and imo it was a mistake not reinstating him. Lawes isn’t even Saints captain behind someone who was on Englands bench today
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Faulks04 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:11 pm If only manu could stay fit . He changes everything. He’s the one player who would make a massive difference to this team .centre is and has been a problem for a long time , there just isn’t a production line of players
He can’t though he moved on because he thought he was worth more than he was rather than staying with an s&c team who knew how to keep him in condition.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Faulks04 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:11 pm If only manu could stay fit . He changes everything. He’s the one player who would make a massive difference to this team .centre is and has been a problem for a long time , there just isn’t a production line of players
Thought Diamond knew how to look after him 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Well that escalated quickly. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I respect that, but don’t agree that this is a game to save Jones’ job. He’s here until after the RWC, regardless of what we think. I’m interested what people think success looks like for England in France ? Semi-final ? Final ? It’s almost like we have to win it and even then, Jones is not fit for purpose. I get we’ve not been great for a while, players coming and going, but it’s tough down under, it’s the end of our season. Yes, we should have beaten 14 men, but hats off to Australia.

I’d have Farrell at 10, but understand that Smith is a talent. If Smith is at 10, who plays in the centre to get this back line moving ?? I’m not sure there is anyone.

Of note, Nowell was decent today, as was Ludlam and Stuart, who surprised me. Our inability to clear out at the breakdown is painful. Let’s hope we’re better next week.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:35 pm Well that escalated quickly. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I respect that, but don’t agree that this is a game to save Jones’ job. He’s here until after the RWC, regardless of what we think. I’m interested what people think success looks like for England in France ? Semi-final ? Final ? It’s almost like we have to win it and even then, Jones is not fit for purpose. I get we’ve not been great for a while, players coming and going, but it’s tough down under, it’s the end of our season. Yes, we should have beaten 14 men, but hats off to Australia.

I’d have Farrell at 10, but understand that Smith is a talent. If Smith is at 10, who plays in the centre to get this back line moving ?? I’m not sure there is anyone.

Of note, Nowell was decent today, as was Ludlam and Stuart, who surprised me. Our inability to clear out at the breakdown is painful. Let’s hope we’re better next week.
Given the draw I would say anything less than a semi final would be a failure.

I agree I thought Nowell, Ludlam and Stuart all played well today, I would definitely start Ludlam next week.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:43 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:35 pm Well that escalated quickly. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I respect that, but don’t agree that this is a game to save Jones’ job. He’s here until after the RWC, regardless of what we think. I’m interested what people think success looks like for England in France ? Semi-final ? Final ? It’s almost like we have to win it and even then, Jones is not fit for purpose. I get we’ve not been great for a while, players coming and going, but it’s tough down under, it’s the end of our season. Yes, we should have beaten 14 men, but hats off to Australia.

I agree I thought Nowell, Ludlam and Stuart all played well today, I would definitely start Ludlam next week.
Depends on Curry, was it concussion ?
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:57 pm
wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:43 pm

Depends on Curry, was it concussion ?
I don't know about Curry but I would start him anyway.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:35 pm
Yes, we should have beaten 14 men, but hats off to Australia.

I agree, hats off to Oz. As for the centres Guy Porter and Marchant. JvP and Smith on as finishers.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:26 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:35 pm
Yes, we should have beaten 14 men, but hats off to Australia.

I agree, hats off to Oz. As for the centres Guy Porter and Marchant. JvP and Smith on as finishers.
I think dropping Smith to the bench is a must sadly. He needs a wake up call because he was well off the pace today. Not sure what his problem was but maybe a reminder he's not guaranteed the shirt might focus the mind. His passing was all over the place and some of decision making pretty poor. Farrell on the other hand played well.

England had enough to win that game at a canter but some of the players just didn't turn up. The only thing I'd lay at Eddie's door is the use of the finishers, he was far to hesitant to bring some of the younger lads on. JVP and Arundell were bright sparks at the end replacing players that had buried themselves for the team, why carry on with the cream crackered players for longer than was necessary?
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

What frustrated me today more than anything was the reluctance to use the subs backs earlier. Chessum to start for Hill next week. I would also drop Smith, that or drop Farrell 🤔
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

This emphasises how difficult it is to be head coach…..of England. All week, “what a great side he’s picked, Care is back, looks good”. Now he should be sacked !! None of us sofa watchers have any clue about how training is going, the work that goes on behind the scenes etc. so let’s just say next week he plays Porter, Arundell etc and we lose badly. He’s onto a hiding. You pick your experience with some youngsters and bed them in, not throw them to the lions. The players on the field should be good enough to sort out any problems. Selection is one thing, clearing out at rucks, identifying space and making your tackles is an individual responsibility.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Feel England are also in a bit of mess with Kruis retiring. We’ve gone from the second row being a massive area of strength to a weakness. Itoje whilst off form is a class player. But I’ve never been convinced by Hill and we know Ewels and Isiekwe can’t hack test level. Lawes for some reason converted to flanker.

England really need Chessum and Tizard to carry on developing in time for the World Cup. On present form I’d have Wells in there somewhere.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:57 pm Feel England are also in a bit of mess with Kruis retiring. We’ve gone from the second row being a massive area of strength to a weakness. Itoje whilst off form is a class player. But I’ve never been convinced by Hill and we know Ewels and Isiekwe can’t hack test level. Lawes for some reason converted to flanker.

England really need Chessum and Tizard to carry on developing in time for the World Cup. On present form I’d have Wells in there somewhere.
I fully agree on this, I feel if Launchbury could stay fit for an extended period then he might be the short term fix. Hopefully Chessum gets a good opportunity on the tour, either starting in a test or given a decent amount of minutes off the bench in the next two games.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:05 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:57 pm Feel England are also in a bit of mess with Kruis retiring. We’ve gone from the second row being a massive area of strength to a weakness. Itoje whilst off form is a class player. But I’ve never been convinced by Hill and we know Ewels and Isiekwe can’t hack test level. Lawes for some reason converted to flanker.

I fully agree on this, I feel if Launchbury could stay fit for an extended period then he might be the short term fix. Hopefully Chessum gets a good opportunity on the tour, either starting in a test or given a decent amount of minutes off the bench in the next two games.
Funny how for ages we were crying out for backrow options. Now we’ve got plenty and more flankers than we know what to do with. But now second row is an issue.

Centre had always been a problem and crazy that we haven’t got a decent 12. Such a shame Kelly isn’t fit, Porter could do a job but looks better in the 13 shirt.