Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers @ Gloucester - Friday 24th September 2021 - 1945

Post by Noggs »

George Skivington's comments on the game:

"I thought they were really impressive last week. Beating Exeter in your first game is massive so we're not underestimating the challenge that's coming. We're fully aware of where they're at and where they are at currently so it's a big challenge for us.

"Their set piece was very dominant last season. I think it was the most dominant in the Prem in terms of stats but I think they've taken a big step forward in their attack. They were very good against Exeter with their attack and their defence certainly had more line speed and I think Kevin Sinfield is encouraging them to get off the line.

"They were a pretty rounded team at the weekend and were impressive to watch. There's challenges across the park for us."

Clearly he is a little nervous :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Never confident at Gloucester. I must admit looking at their 23, if we play like last week we should win, but that’s not a gimme by any stretch. Some Glos players just coming back, Slater, Atkinson etc so we’ll hopefully turn the screw and give them a torrid time. Skivington trying the reverse psychology of big-ing us up.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I had to look hard to see the changes beyond Heyes! If it ain't broke don't fix it! But it would be good to see what Saumaki can do
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 pm Never confident at Gloucester. I must admit looking at their 23, if we play like last week we should win, but that’s not a gimme by any stretch. Some Glos players just coming back, Slater, Atkinson etc so we’ll hopefully turn the screw and give them a torrid time. Skivington trying the reverse psychology of big-ing us up.
I think we might expect a response to them being bossed about by our neighbours to the south in last week's game...
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am very pleased to see the selections and really do expect a win based on last week's performance. I just hope we can keep Atkinson and Evans quiet - really like young Atkinson.
Hehehehehehehehe
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Agree with the comments above. Looking at the 2 sides on paper I’d expect us to get the job done. That said, games aren’t played on paper and a Friday night trip to Glos isn’t a gimme by any stretch.

Great selection for me and good to see Heyes back. Shame we still can’t field one of our top 3 hookers so a little weak in that respect on the bench.

Glos missing a fair few and their 2 fliers in May and LRZ which certainly helps!

Not surprised by the lack of Saumaki.. Potter and Nadolo playing really well and Porter is the utility back option on the bench. Makes sense to me and expect to see more of Muri and Saumaki as the season goes on.

Expect a good game but Tigers should be good value for a win if we play like last week
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Gloucester currently have three players away with Argentina playing in The Rugby Championship, ruling out winger/full back Santiago Carreras, lock Matías Alemanno and hooker Santiago Socino for the opening rounds of the Premiership.

Meanwhile, like all other Premiership clubs which contributed players to the British and Irish Lions this summer, Skivington will be without his tourists for at least the opening round of the league meaning Wales winger Louis Rees-Zammit and Scotland centre Chris Harris will not feature for Gloucester.

Injury wise Gloucester look set to start the new season slightly underpowered at the back of the scrum with South African number eight Ruan Ackermann still recovering from surgery on his foot and Italian international Jake Polledri still sidelined with the knee ligament injury he sustained last Autumn.

May also missed out.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

The Glos side reminds me of the type of side we have fielded in seasons gone by during International windows.. A few big names with a smattering of academy and squad players
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

IF Tigers can replicate their determination from last Saturday, and IF they can overcome their hoodoo with Friday night away matches then they may well come back with a win! I remain, as always, cautiously optimistic 🤞
Semper in excretia
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Having home crowds back this season will make a big difference, as Tigers found last week. Gloucs, playing in front of a raucous Kingsholm on a Friday night, will get a huge extra boost. Tigers will need to play well to keep the crowd quiet, and that means not giving away as many pens as last week.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:00 pm Having home crowds back this season will make a big difference, as Tigers found last week. Gloucs, playing in front of a raucous Kingsholm on a Friday night, will get a huge extra boost. Tigers will need to play well to keep the crowd quiet, and that means not giving away as many pens as last week.
Agreed
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:52 pm IF Tigers can replicate their determination from last Saturday, and IF they can overcome their hoodoo with Friday night away matches then they may well come back with a win! I remain, as always, cautiously optimistic 🤞
IF they keep15 on the pitch I might get a pint off posh Richard!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

That's a very good squad, confident Tigers can win this.
COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Really looking forward to tomorrow. Am home alone so: TV on, table full of girth expanding foods and a bottle of Fleurie. We, in the recent past, have been an up and down team; win one, lose one. I really hope that's changed.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:27 pm Really looking forward to tomorrow. Am home alone so: TV on, table full of girth expanding foods and a bottle of Fleurie. We, in the recent past, have been an up and down team; win one, lose one. I really hope that's changed.
Good choice of wine, Old Hob. Enjoy it!!
Semper in excretia