QUINS (H) - ROUND 19 - 15th May 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: QUINS (H) - ROUND 19 - 15th May 2021

Post by Darc Tiger »

Ideal prep for Friday, besides Wiese going off, I think.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:11 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:36 pm We were by far the better team, nearly lost that due to a truly appalling performance from TMO.
I’m a happy clappy rose tinted Tigers fan, but you’re having a laugh, aren’t you? That’s huge disrespect to Quins.
Having a laugh? Not for me.

Clear forward passes for two of their trys and a poor decision against Genge putting us down to 13, where it should have been 14 a piece. We rode the tide and came through. Multiple terrible calls against us, next to nothing against Quins had the correct calls have been we’d have likely been well out in front.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

anz3001 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:20 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:36 pm We were by far the better team, nearly lost that due to a truly appalling performance from TMO.
I’m a happy clappy rose tinted Tigers fan, but you’re having a laugh, aren’t you? That’s huge disrespect to Quins.

Clear forward passes for two of their trys and a poor decision against Genge putting us down to 13, where it should have been 14 a piece. We rode the tide and came through. Multiple terrible calls against us, next to nothing against Quins had the correct calls have been we’d have likely been well out in front.
Spot on,the forward passes were dreadful misses so how can folk say Pearce had a good game?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:21 pm

Spot on,the forward passes were dreadful misses so how can folk say Pearce had a good game?!
Because, sadly, all refs ignore them
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

northerntiger wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:28 pm

Because, sadly, all refs ignore them
As one saying Pearce had a good game, this, but also Assistant Refs and TMO tske more responsibility for forward passes and off sides to my mind...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Because no ref is going to see those. He's relying on his TMO who had a shocker and who insisted that Genge got a card. Pearce wanted to play on.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Great game great win.

Yes we looked a bit leggy at the end there but the lads put the shift in when down to 13 men. That was a huge performance.

We certainly didn't get the rub of the green on the decisions, yet still came out on top.

Some people putting their hands up for selection. We certainly missed Ford when he went off. Youngs and Ford managed that game superbly.

Fingers crossed Jasper is ok for next weekend. Though, Liebenberg, Reffell & Brink is still a pretty fearsome back row.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Crofty wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:34 pm
peteD wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:30 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:29 pm YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH!!!!

Made harder work of it than my cardiovascular system is comfortable with but given the absolutely, contemptibly, TMOing of Tom Foley maybe we shouldn't be overly harsh on the team...
good to see us playing well enough to neutralise some of those decisions!
Yes, old fashioned Tigers, playing a ref (or TMO in this case) out of the game!

Big Dai, destroy that bottle of Remy, you know you want to!

I know this is a rugby forum....... But NOW.... I can destroy that bottle.

Leicester to the core!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Big Dai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Leicester to the core!
I'm a filthy refugee from League land so I don't have any skin in the Wembley game but I am happy that the Foxes won it, both because good for the adoptive city and I reckon they definitely looked the team more up for it.

Drink well and enjoy!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Shortbloke66

Post by Shortbloke66 »

Big Dai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Leicester to the core!
Big dai
It’s been a worry in the last few weeks how, although close, the tigers have denied you some well earned remy time.
It’s a relief to say it’s remy time this evening - enjoy
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Green Nadolo and Scott all very good today but for me Tommy Reffell was our stand out player. Tackled everything and slowed down their ball at every chance. Has to be our go to 7 from now
Reggie
Tiger Cub

Post by Reggie »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Because no ref is going to see those. He's relying on his TMO who had a shocker and who insisted that Genge got a card. Pearce wanted to play on.
Refs are no longer the ultimate authority in a game. The TMOs are. A try is scored and it's the TMOs job to scour the footage to come up with a reason not to award it.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Just watched the game. Thought we were terrific.

We took our big players off and tired but the damage was done. We were excellent up front although the set piece was a concern in the final 20 minutes. Very good variety in attack. Defensively we were very good but put ourselves under pressure with some silly errors and ill discipline.

The refs picked up a lot of stuff that is otherwise ignored- particularly them sealing off, offside at the lineout. I agree that the Genge yellow is very harsh. Why cannot not be accidental? Having a very interventionist TMO may mean you get more penalties but you expect them to get everything right. The Kelly penalty was so trivial- not sure how it made any difference.

Quins seemed to miss the physicality of their absentees but they play excellent rugby. Almost like they are coached like a super rugby side. I doubt their defence against the top teams, even today it was ropey.

We keep getting better. Our attack today was the best all year. Quins have been in great form but we mullered them in the first 20. Our potential is huge. The progress in six months from SB is wonderful to see. Sign of how much progress we have made? When we had 13 players they got nothing- a year ago they would have got a hatful.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RichieB wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:12 pm I think Porter hasn’t had a great game.
Admittedly I missed 10 minutes or so of the second half but I thought he had a pretty good game.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Watched late but what a huge 5 points that was.. Quins have been in impressive form and scoring tries for fun so to come away with the BP win is a massive achievement.

Game of 2 halves for me and perhaps not too surprising with all the substitutions. Can't really argue with one eye on the Final next weekend and we seem to have got through unscathed injury wise (fingers crossed Wiese is ok) so what a great way to prepare with a morale boosting 5 points that lifts us into 6th!

Lots of positives for me:

- very impressive at the breakdown and really benefitted from having a natural 7 on the field. Big bulk and brute strength is one thing but we have to keep thins option in the side imho if we are to succeed. Reffell was immense today, huge shift.
- some huge hits from the whole team and some great tackles and turnovers from our wingers (Nadolo and Muri). Nadolo was outstanding today and is finding some real form. His offloads today made a big difference too. It's one thing to smash into contact and go to ground but some of the offloading today was very impressive and really gave us some good momentum in the first half blitz.
- Genge, Martin and Green really impressed me today. Green really looked like he was up for it and really got stuck in
- Ford was very impressive and controlled the game well and kicked exceptionally well. Showed Smith how it's done :smt002

A few negatives:

- Another game and another 2 yellow cards.. maybe we are trying to take a leaf out of Sale's book? :smt017 :smt005
- Sloppy ill discipline cost us once again and certainly let Quins back into the game (needless late tackle by Youngs for example. ultimately 15 penalties is too many and if we concede that many against Montpellier we will lose).
- I never understand why players let the maul rumble all the way to 1/2 metre from the try line and then decide to pull it down right in front of the referee! Stupid from Cole :smt018

Thought the 3 on field officials did a decent job. Like the pace Peace puts on the game but all game he was saying to Quins 'use it.. come on..' It's one things saying it but it would be nice if he pinged them once in a while otherwise it's largely irrelevant and Quins consistently were taking longer than 5s. Lot's of turning a blind eye to Quins forward passes, most notably for their final try. Such a clear forward pass on the right touchline and they check just about everything but that. TMO was pretty useless but it's Foley so no surprises. Overall I thought the official did a decent job but expected a little more given the high calibre quartet (well trio really as we can't really class Foley as being in the same league as the other 3!)

The Chisholm shove on Wiggo late on - this really annoyed me. He goes in and shoves Wiggo off the ball and after the whistle (far harder than Heyes did in the Bath game).. if Wiggo reacts then the penalty we already have gets reversed. If he doesn't react (as in this case) then nothing happens and we play on. So ultimately what does this say? Play dirty and go around shoving people off the ball and after the whistle in the hope they retaliate and you might get a penalty or get them carded? Bath started the incident with Wiese and ultimately it resulted in them winning the game, Chisholm shoves Wiggo and in this case he doesn't react but I'd like to see a little more done to cut this out or at least penalise the person who starts it rather than simply pinging the guy who retaliates to being shoved off the ball! Yes I know it's rugby not tiddly winks but it just frustrates me.. a bit like the willy waving scrum halves who who thinks it's big and clever to just stand there shoving the other 9 at scrum time..

Anyway... Won the first half 29-12 and lost the second half 17-6. Ok so we made fairly big changes but it was a slightly disappointing second 40 and something to work on for the Final next week.

Ultimately though... Huge 5 points.. some great individual performances from Nadolo, Reffell, Green, Martin, Ford.. bit of ill discipline and some turning a blind eye to Quins forward passes made it closer than it perhaps might have been and we seemed to lose momentum when the subs came on.. great win though and up to 6th! We showed what we are capable of by securing the 4 try BP in the first half against a team that's sat 4th in the table and only 3 points off 2nd.. keep this up. Some great attacking structure and great intensity and line speed and that's the end result! :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!