Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by Ian Cant » Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm

H’s dad put:

Take the payments off the players and you'll have Martin Johnson outside your door with a placard and a brazier.

Only this week Martin Johnson talked about some of the positives to come out of the current situation. He talked at length about how, when Tigers were winning trophies regularly he and the rest of the successful squads couldn’t believe rather amount some players were earning elsewhere but then some of those clubs really struggled financially. He thought that in future clubs will have to adopt a far more sensible approach with regard to how much players are paid.
The only club I can see having no problems is Bristol as their owner is, I believe a billionaire.
This is why the vast majority of clubs want to see the salary cap remain sensible.

Tiglon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiglon » Sat May 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:30 pm

To say there was no money in rugby in the 80s is incorrect. There may have been no visible money, and there were certainly incentives for top players to move clubs provided by friendly local employers
But....
Post by Mark62 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:37 pm

IMO Loyalty these days is very much an outdated concept., certainly in terms of suppliers and consumers.
The days of sticking with your energy supplier, mortgage lender, insurance company etc are long gone, we all look for the best deal available. Same with supermarkets, especially since their loyalty schemes were proven to be little more than data mining schemes.
I think there is a similar attitude to sports teams. I stopped playing in 1989 through injury, but had I continued I would have stayed at the same club, Stoneygate until I stopped playing. In those days, outside of football, it was unheard of for players to change clubs, unless there were geographic reasons.
Now at all levels players move around clubs, Mays reason was financially motivated, I have no doubt he is 100% committed to whichever club is paying him, but when his contract is up at Gloucester he will look for the best deal.
That’s modern life I’m afraid and loyalty these days usually starts with a £
So which is it? Did players move for money in the 80's like they do now, or did they all turn down financial gain in the name of loyalty?

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Tiglon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:35 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:30 pm

To say there was no money in rugby in the 80s is incorrect. There may have been no visible money, and there were certainly incentives for top players to move clubs provided by friendly local employers
But....
Post by Mark62 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:37 pm

IMO Loyalty these days is very much an outdated concept., certainly in terms of suppliers and consumers.
The days of sticking with your energy supplier, mortgage lender, insurance company etc are long gone, we all look for the best deal available. Same with supermarkets, especially since their loyalty schemes were proven to be little more than data mining schemes.
I think there is a similar attitude to sports teams. I stopped playing in 1989 through injury, but had I continued I would have stayed at the same club, Stoneygate until I stopped playing. In those days, outside of football, it was unheard of for players to change clubs, unless there were geographic reasons.
Now at all levels players move around clubs, Mays reason was financially motivated, I have no doubt he is 100% committed to whichever club is paying him, but when his contract is up at Gloucester he will look for the best deal.
That’s modern life I’m afraid and loyalty these days usually starts with a £
So which is it? Did players move for money in the 80's like they do now, or did they all turn down financial gain in the name of loyalty?
Quite right, the point I was making was to do with the lower reaches of the game. There was money in the game in the 80s and movement by players at the higher echelons was made easier by friendly supporting firms. I can’t remember the name of the company but there was an insurance brokers around the Demontfort Street area of Leicester who had about 5 members of the playing squad on their books, now either they had a really company 7s side or there was another reason

BigDan50

Post by BigDan50 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:18 am

Back in the day my wife worked in a well known bank with one of our more famous captain/players, he was employed by the bank but was never seen to work in the bank even though paid a full salary, rumour has it that he was also on the ground staff at Welford Road and also paid a salary by the club.
At that time we were the best supported club with the largest income and we were able to recruit the best players to come and play for us which in turn made us the most successful club in that era.
No salary caps then!!!

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad » Sun May 24, 2020 1:39 pm

Ian Cant wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm
H’s dad put:

Take the payments off the players and you'll have Martin Johnson outside your door with a placard and a brazier.

Only this week Martin Johnson talked about some of the positives to come out of the current situation. He talked at length about how, when Tigers were winning trophies regularly he and the rest of the successful squads couldn’t believe rather amount some players were earning elsewhere but then some of those clubs really struggled financially. He thought that in future clubs will have to adopt a far more sensible approach with regard to how much players are paid.
The only club I can see having no problems is Bristol as their owner is, I believe a billionaire.
This is why the vast majority of clubs want to see the salary cap remain sensible.
With respect Ian, the point I was making was specifically in response to a suggestion to take payment for international performances away from players. I am sure that you will recall, probably better than I, when MJ was a leader of the group suggesting immediate strike action if remuneration for international performances was not significantly enhanced.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad » Sun May 24, 2020 1:42 pm

BigDan50 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:18 am
Back in the day my wife worked in a well known bank with one of our more famous captain/players, he was employed by the bank but was never seen to work in the bank even though paid a full salary, rumour has it that he was also on the ground staff at Welford Road and also paid a salary by the club.
At that time we were the best supported club with the largest income and we were able to recruit the best players to come and play for us which in turn made us the most successful club in that era.
No salary caps then!!!
Assuming we're talking about the same 'one of our more famous captain/players' my sister-in-law trained him on the cashiers' desk. She said it was a bit of a squeeze. Whether he ever actually did any independent work, I don't know.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game