Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers Vs Quins

Post by h's dad »

jamie1880 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 am
Scott11 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:14 pm No it's not pointless (a) you can see if you're improving on last season's results and points total and (b) the points total for 4th is usually in the same ballpark too so yes you can guage that too and yes I will be doing it after every game ok! 8 points down so far but the opportunity to grab some back next week so big game!
I don't know why you compare season on season. Fixtures, teams and expectations differ season on season. Only thing you should be comparing is where we are compared to Saracens Wasps Exeter THIS season.
But that is next to useless if one team has played mostly bottom half and the other mostly top half opposition. The time that that is most useful is at the end of the season. What Scott is doing has flaws coming out of its ears but if you acknowledge that, it becomes an valid comparison when the same exercise is done with the competition. Which I think might then shine some interesting light rather than simply being a rather blunt Tiger bashing stick.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Not a bashing stick at all,just my way of comparing if we have progressed,gone backwards or stood still. It's not perfect but it does tell some of the story. And at this present time we have stood still against one team and regressed against the other 3.Perfect chance now to see if we have improved against a good Chiefs side and instead of people moaning please put another suggestion across and I'd gladly be on board if it works better.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 pm Not a bashing stick at all,just my way of comparing if we have progressed,gone backwards or stood still. It's not perfect but it does tell some of the story. And at this present time we have stood still against one team and regressed against the other 3.Perfect chance now to see if we have improved against a good Chiefs side and instead of people moaning please put another suggestion across and I'd gladly be on board if it works better.
If you're happy with it then keep going, of course people can find fault but they always will. As the old saying goes there's statistics and there's damned lies :smt026
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 pm Not a bashing stick at all,just my way of comparing if we have progressed,gone backwards or stood still. It's not perfect but it does tell some of the story. And at this present time we have stood still against one team and regressed against the other 3.Perfect chance now to see if we have improved against a good Chiefs side and instead of people moaning please put another suggestion across and I'd gladly be on board if it works better.
Comparing single matches against the four teams played so far is an extremely flawed application of what you are trying to do. . Your measure of aggregate points gained/lost against matched opposition needs to be compared against other teams aggregates. Until you do that you have no comparator. I know this is more work but doing this for at least a relevant selection will make what you are doing much more meaningful.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

h's dad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 pm
Comparing single matches against the four teams played so far is an extremely flawed application of what you are trying to do. . Your measure of aggregate points gained/lost against matched opposition needs to be compared against other teams aggregates. Until you do that you have no comparator. I know this is more work but doing this for at least a relevant selection will make what you are doing much more meaningful.
Or you could just look at the table?
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

No comparator?! Er last seasons results against the same teams and points total that doesn't fluctuate very much around 4th place each season (suppose your gonna have a look how!) I'm happy doing what I'm doing,you don't have to read the post!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Post after post on nothing to do with the Quins game. So tedious. How about Telusa played well. May scored again but had to after his awful pass etc. That would be a little more interesting.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:54 pm Post after post on nothing to do with the Quins game. So tedious. How about Telusa played well. May scored again but had to after his awful pass etc. That would be a little more interesting.
Thing is some are more interested in portraying themselves than discussing the game and I agree we had a lot more players playing nearer to their own capabilities, I am not seeing anyone not trying
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 pm
h's dad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 pm
Or you could just look at the table?
But that doesn't adjust for the level of opposition. It is of little validity early in the season.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:35 pm No comparator?! Er last seasons results against the same teams and points total that doesn't fluctuate very much around 4th place each season (suppose your gonna have a look how!) I'm happy doing what I'm doing,you don't have to read the post!
Just pointing out that you're only reporting on one team and their opposition each week. There are 11 other teams in the league, all of which will have there own aggregate movement which will give a much better picture of Tigers' position and performance. I'm glad you're happy.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:54 pm Post after post on nothing to do with the Quins game. So tedious. How about Telusa played well. May scored again but had to after his awful pass etc. That would be a little more interesting.
Usually I'm the one shouting "posts, posts!" With JM it seems to be "ground it, ground it!" Really enjoying him in Tigers colours.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Im loving May! 5/4 in a team who's backs haven't really clicked yet,thought Cole's workrate was astonishing too he was involved in 3 tackles in the first 50 seconds! Any news on injuries?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:48 pm Im loving May! 5/4 in a team who's backs haven't really clicked yet,thought Cole's workrate was astonishing too he was involved in 3 tackles in the first 50 seconds! Any news on injuries?
I don't mean to be pedantic but May has got 4 tries in 4 matches, not 5 from 4.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:54 pm Post after post on nothing to do with the Quins game. So tedious. How about Telusa played well. ...
So did Gengey - had all of Queens' props on toast and a competent ref would have given us many more penalties. The 77th minute reversal because the trainee (he can't really be qualified, can he?) ref said Ellis swung the scrum sideways was, in fact, caused by Sinckler, who Ellis had on toast, dropping his outside arm and shoulder and swinging in towards the touchline. Penalty every time for a competent ref.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Are you sure? Thought he got two in the Bath game and one in the other 3