Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by Starburst »

I wouldn't say much better. I don't think he's had a really poor game like Nowell or Watson had early on but also hasn't really had the chances or decent ball come his way to impress either. Personally I think if he'd been playing on Tuesday in that Chiefs game he'd likely have impressed as well. However he didn't, Daly & Williams did and impressed enough to get a start. Those pair certainly combined quite well and should be full of confidence after the best back 3 performance of the tour to date.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I just feel that both Watson and Daly work much harder off the ball. They both chase kicks as if their lives depended on it, and are willing to simply hound the opposition into making errors. I've not seen that from North.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Got to say Gatland has taken me by surprise, I was sure George North was his favourite, glad to see Warburton is not Capt or starting, surprised also Halfpenny not starting, rest pretty much as I expected including no place for Dan.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

So much for Gatland's supposed national bias.

To start first test;
4xWelshies
7xEnglanders
4xOirish

Perhaps he has more to his plan than the bleedin obvious after all.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Having 0.5p on the bench makes no sense. I like him, he's a good player. But he's hardly an impact player. That slot really should have gone to North.

Itoje being left out beggars belief.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Iain wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:11 am Having 0.5p on the bench makes no sense. I like him, he's a good player. But he's hardly an impact player. That slot really should have gone to North.

Itoje being left out beggars belief.
I don't know what your problem is !!!! Itoje is the in form player not just lock for the Lions and he is not Welsh, what better reason for him not starting ???? :smt009 :smt017 :smt010 :smt011 :smt012
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

I mean for gawd sales. Look I realise you all only follow rugby because it gives all your English supremacism an outlet, but it is now so utterrly pathetic and obvious to the point of being beyond bigotry. Gatland didn't pick an English bloke mainly because the Welsh guy is better suited for the game plan and tactics. It isn't an affront to England and the English. It isn't discriminatory. Your player didn't get dropped because he is English. You are not the victims. I mean Sheeeesh, you English nationalists and Brexit bunch are more chippy than us Welsh would ever try being in our wildest dreams. You are nearly 55 million. Us Welsh are barely 3.

So why feel so damned inadequate?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'd have started Halfpenny at full back. been playing well and kicking like a dream.
Would have started Itoje. Just too good to be on the bench and form me key to a strategy to out-muscle the all blacks in the maul. Hope he's not been picked to be potential back row cover, he's a world class lock but little more than good as a 6 as England found out in the 6N.

Has North missed out because he seems a bit less committed in defence than prior to his head injuries?

Interesting that Gatland has not selected his tour captain as a starter. Was he ever going to be a starter (barring injuries) or was it a move to take some of the pressure of the likely starting captain(s)
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

4 Welsh starters, OK fair enough but 4 more on the bench, if they all get on then possibly more than half the team will be Welsh, remind me where did Wales finish in 6N, oh I remember they finished 5th! :smt013
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Seal wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:48 am Cole had an absolute stormer of a game.

Shame on the player making the (completely unpenalised!) dirty hit on him.
Having been at the game flying the Tigers flag, I wondered why Dan Cole was wearing a black arm band so I hope it's nothing terrible and just an arm support.
Yes I thought he had a brilliant game and lasted the full 81 minutes but there were several cheap shots at Dan who clearly had more determination than those he was propping against.
I am surprised after that he is not on the bench but the Sinckler, Rowntree & Quins may be the reason albeit that Rowntree trained Dan at Tigers too. Out here all are amazed and Kiwis pleased that Itoje is not in the starting squad.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I take my hat off to Gatland. Never saw that selection coming, to bench your captain, to not pick North at all and who would have predicted that back 3. Regardless of the result, it's a ballsy 23 selection. It's kind of lifted my spirits after the tour replacements debacle. Chuffed for Sinckler and most of all George...not given a prayer behind Owens and Best and he starts....brilliant !
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

No real selection surprises for me.
If the Lions win then Gatland will have been right, if they lose he will also be right!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Predictable selection.....it's the one the old man and I predicted but not the one we wanted. Main areas of contention for us do involve Welshmen, Welshy, not through any pitch of English supremacy. The first involves the centres, would have preferred Sexton and Farrell playing, that would mean dropping Davies to the bench and leaving T'eo on. (He's been a surprise performer for us.) Two options for out of hand kicking and options on the escape (A la Catt against......I can't remember who :smt002) The other is Alun Wyn who I would drop in favour of the more mobile Itoje.

But then we're not Gatland and Howley, just a pair of old duffers sitting drinking a decent Malbec an philosophising into the small hours.

By the way. As many regular readers will know I love a tipple during the game. These early kick offs are playing havoc with the weekend. :smt030 :smt030
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

If AWJ gives his all for 50 minutes - as I'm sure he will, and then a fresh and fired-up Itoje enters the fray to partner Kruis and then Sinckler, whatsisname the Welsh hooker and Irish prop join the fun then the Lions will finish well and put the final nail in the AB's coffin!
Now, back to that bottle of Buzet!
Semper in excretia
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 pm If AWJ gives his all for 50 minutes - as I'm sure he will, and then a fresh and fired-up Itoje enters the fray to partner Kruis and then Sinckler, whatsisname the Welsh hooker and Irish prop join the fun then the Lions will finish well and put the final nail in the AB's coffin!
Now, back to that bottle of Buzet!
Baron D'Albret ot Baron D'Ardeuil? Very envious.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"