Matt Toomua - anyone heard any news yet?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Toomua - anyone heard any news yet?

Post by jgriffin »

I posted last week that we are disadvantaged financially, but we have to live with it. All but three clubs are in the same boat. Of the rest, one has huge debts, another is on a short term deal that is potentially disastrous, and the third has Brucie. It boils down to what you want.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

Wouldn't mind seeing if the Srivaddhanaprabha family fancied adding Tigers to their Sport portfolio.

They have done a cracking job with City.

I think big money backers are the way the sport will go anyway so why not get on the bandwagon early doors. We must be the best proposition in terms of supporter base so could choose from a few sugar daddies I reckon.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Six months out? Jeepers (mild version). What is it with new signings? Do we push them in too fast? Do we fail to allow a break for these guys, as one season ends another begins? It can't be all bad luck.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

It is without doubt that we are jinxed. JDV was here last season and I don't even think he played a full game did he. I remember him playing away at Quins but don't think he finished the game. All we saw of him other than that was him sitting in the stand joking with the other walking wounded. Now this has happened to Matt, what more can we try. It is probably not practical but could we insure any future high value signings against long term injury.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

So, game one, breaks Mike Williams arm during the warm up. Game two tip tackles an opponent and is lucky not to get a red card. Game three does his ACL. Not the best start all things considered.

Ironically, if he'd got the red card in the Glasgow game he wouldn't have been playing last weekend and wouldn't have done his knee.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Yorkshire man wrote:It is without doubt that we are jinxed. JDV was here last season and I don't even think he played a full game did he. I remember him playing away at Quins but don't think he finished the game. All we saw of him other than that was him sitting in the stand joking with the other walking wounded. Now this has happened to Matt, what more can we try. It is probably not practical but could we insure any future high value signings against long term injury.
I think a lot of people would have said JDV was a bust before we signed him. Difference with Toomua is he's not someone at the tail end of his career.
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

biffer wrote:
Yorkshire man wrote:It is without doubt that we are jinxed. JDV was here last season and I don't even think he played a full game did he. I remember him playing away at Quins but don't think he finished the game. All we saw of him other than that was him sitting in the stand joking with the other walking wounded. Now this has happened to Matt, what more can we try. It is probably not practical but could we insure any future high value signings against long term injury.
I think a lot of people would have said JDV was a bust before we signed him. Difference with Toomua is he's not someone at the tail end of his career.
We hope not biffer, we hope not
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Some confusion as to whether it is PCL or ACL. cockers said the former but usually you don't operate on PCLs. greater risk of op not being successful and considerably more difficult for the surgeons. We'll have to see, but if it is the PCL and they are operating then I'd would be more worried than "just" the ACL which is surprisingly common these days and from which, with professional quantity of Physio, a full recovering can usually be made.

Just to clarify some posts that indicated walking off was a good sign. After the first 20 seconds of excruciating pain following the rupture (when the knee capsule fills up with blood) the knee gets quite stable thus allowing you to walk off. Not always but quite often.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Yorkshire man wrote:JDV was here last season and I don't even think he played a full game did he. I remember him playing away at Quins but don't think he finished the game. All we saw of him other than that was him sitting in the stand joking with the other walking wounded.
Minor point, JDV played the home game against L Irish, scored a cracking try and, IMO, it was probably the most organised our back line had looked. Not much consolation I know.
Big Dai wrote:Six months out? Jeepers (mild version). What is it with new signings? Do we push them in too fast? Do we fail to allow a break for these guys, as one season ends another begins? It can't be all bad luck.
He'd just had a break following a concussion lay off with Australia.

Just how long a gap should we leave?

I reckon we have to accept that it is just one of those things, bad luck.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Just one point around Cockers' statement. Only a couple of weeks ago, he said he was looking for the right number eight for the club. I inferred this to mean we had funds available. If Cockers is saying funds aren't available for a 12 to cover Toomua, does that mean we're no longer looking for an eight or does it mean the funds are ring fenced for an eight or that we've found one already?
:smt017
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

L Smith wrote:Just one point around Cockers' statement. Only a couple of weeks ago, he said he was looking for the right number eight for the club. I inferred this to mean we had funds available. If Cockers is saying funds aren't available for a 12 to cover Toomua, does that mean we're no longer looking for an eight or does it mean the funds are ring fenced for an eight or that we've found one already?
:smt017
Pure speculation on my part but - no - yes and - possibly (Morgan?)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Yorkshire man wrote:JDV was here last season and I don't even think he played a full game did he. I remember him playing away at Quins but don't think he finished the game. All we saw of him other than that was him sitting in the stand joking with the other walking wounded.
Minor point, JDV played the home game against L Irish, scored a cracking try and, IMO, it was probably the most organised our back line had looked. Not much consolation I know.
Big Dai wrote:Six months out? Jeepers (mild version). What is it with new signings? Do we push them in too fast? Do we fail to allow a break for these guys, as one season ends another begins? It can't be all bad luck.

A close season break. Months rather than weeks.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Big Dai wrote:
WhitecapTiger wrote:

A close season break. Months rather than weeks.
Yes Toomua looks to be out for the whole season - perhaps a game in the play offs. Dom Barrow is out for about 12 weeks too on HIA but there is hope for Telusa after his HIA it looks like missing Saracens & available for Barf in the AWC but I hope they rest him further and use Worth or others. :smt022
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/huge- ... story.html
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

L. Smith, a number 8 would have their wage from within the salary cap whereas an injury replacement comes from outside the cap but is limited to £400,000 a season I believe.

So effectively, yes we can afford a new number 8 but not an injury replacement.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ellis9 wrote:L. Smith, a number 8 would have their wage from within the salary cap whereas an injury replacement comes from outside the cap but is limited to £400,000 a season I believe.

So effectively, yes we can afford a new number 8 but not an injury replacement.
Sorry I really don't understand that. Surely if the club decide they now need a new centre more than a No.8, we can get one? It doesn't have to be called an injury replacement. If we have the money for just one more player, my vote would be for a centre - especially with Manu's dodgy groin.
Soggypitch